Autonomic dysreflezia/hyperfexia

what is the difference between EM and that condition? it includes blood pressure and vasodilation, right?

maybe there is something wrong with our spines/nervous system just as in spinal patients who have AD??

The condition of AD is much more severe than EM. AD results from a significant spinal cord injury that would not likely go unnoticed as it is often a life-threatening condition that is considered a medical emergency. Although some symptoms coincide, like the flushing, this can be done with many conditions that result in flushing (allergic reactions, infection, etc.). As for the BP aspect, I do not think that BP has been directly correlated with EM, but definitely seems that high BP is apparent in a number of patients, although it is also highly prevalent in the non-EM population so it is hard to say. If you are worried about your spine, a simple MRI would be able to rule out any spinal damage.

The correlation to EM and the autonomic nervous system can be correct in many cases as EM can be the result of an irregular autonomic nervous system where the body overreacts to certain stimuli such as heat, stress, and exercise. In cases like this EM can be partnered with dysautonomia which results in an errant control of BP, blood vessel tone, and many other problems. An irregular autonomic nervous system also explains why many patients are worse later in the day as excessive vasodilation can be a product of the parasympathetic nervous system taking over. With that being said, not all EM is the same, some results from pain related mutation or a dysfunctional endothelium due to imbalances of neurotransmitters that control blood vessel tone. If you are worried about AD, a doctor would be able to rule it out and it could be another thing to check off which will help lead to a more accurate diagnosis down the line.

TLDR: AD is a serious injury, EM is more likely present with dysautonomia. However, not all EM stems from the same problem. Some cases involve the autonomic nervous system, some do not. This is why EM is so hard to treat.

Hi Joe,
Just read your post in reply to Cherry. I never heard of AD. I happen to have MS, Raynaud’s, (possible Lupus), arthritis and Relapsing Polychondritis.
I am 65 years old. Three years ago I developed EM. Mostly in the feet. Some of my research says that EM and Raynaud’s is the same illness. There’s some that say it’s a separate illness.
My neurologist said that EM is secondary to the MS, (autonomic nervous system involvement.) MS involves the Central Nervous System and within that system is the Autonomic NS.
Your explanation is very good.
Some people are born with the gene for this condition. the pain starts in childhood. I feel sorry for these kids having to live with this pain all through their lives.
My feet are in pain without a flare up. They’re constantly swollen and red, complicated by arthritis, 2 neuromas in the balls of each foot, callous and a “corn” (says a couple of foot doctors)in the ball of the right foot. It looks like a callous. I’m very uncomfortable to put it mildly.
Hard to find shoes that work for me. I live in white leather sneakers with a rounded toe. I buy Pro-Foot orthotic inserts and they work better than the ones I was fitted for. They only cost about $7-$8 and sometimes I get them for less than that.
I hope that anyone who has foot problems like mine will try those inserts. They are really good.
Thank you all for all the support you give to me and others with this rare condition. I guess we are special!
Hang in there everyone!