Confusing Toe Problem

Hi, everyone! This is sort of a silly question, but I am looking for some insight. Just a note, I have been diagnosed with Raynaud's, which I have had since childhood (15 years or so), and have not officially been diagnosed with EM and am trying to figure out what I often experience when my limbs get hot and red. So anyway, my current question:

Last night, I had Raynaud's on a few toes, including my middle toe on my left foot. It was a really mild attack, so I just ignored it and it went away as I warmed up.

Then today, at work, it felt like I had Raynaud's in the middle toe on my left foot, but mildly, and the feeling lasted all day. However, I know my body, and I know that it would be next to impossible for me to get Raynaud's while I am wearing tights and boots in a heated office, unless I was really stressed (which I wasn't--just a usual amount of work stress lol). So I ignored it, but I was bothered by it throughout the day.

When I got home, I realized that my toe was swollen, red, and warmer than the other toes. I thought that maybe my boot had been cutting off my circulation, and it was just returning. So I continued to ignore it. But it was been three hours since I have gotten home and my toe still feels like I have Raynaud's, but is red, warm, and swollen. It isn't the same level of heat or redness as when I experience when I have what I think might be EM flares.

Soooo, what feels like Raynaud's but causes minor swelling, reddness, and heat? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Chillblains maybe? I have 10 at the moment

I know it could be multiple things, but your description sounds exactly like my DPU (delayed pressure urticaria - ie presure hives) flare ups when they happen on my toes (they occur all over my feet but when it is on the toes it is one of the worst spots). This usually happens for me when I have a day where i am on my feet a lot. Are they extra presure sensitive? Kind if like it feels if you have a bruise but obviously not one? I have been taking a double dose of zertec on days i know i am going to be on my feet a lot and that helps but doesn't completely make them go away.

Sound exactly as my individual EM flares. I have been diagnosed with EM and sometimes a flare will only involve a couple or three toes. Seems more painful than when whole foot is involved. I use a cooling gel and try to keep elevated off and on during day. Easy for me as I’m retired.

I agree with "in pain". Sounds like chilblains to me too. I been dealing with em for long years, feel a lil bit like EM but not that bad. Definitely related to raynaud's. I'll write more into my latest discussion. xoxo, Liz

Raynaud's and EM can be connected.... there is a brochure that discusses both, posted by Liz at the following link: http://forum.livingwitherythromelalgia.org/forum/topics/em-associated-with-raynaud-s?commentId=6418999%3AComment%3A30591&xg_source=msg_com_forum

Hi! Thanks for all of your responses. I am not sure if it is chilblains exactly, but I think it is related to circulation problems (I feel like it must be, since it feels like raynaud's but looks like a very mild bout of EM). I just think Chilblains might be more painful than what I am experiencing. I also think the pressure hives is an interesting theory--I think the real tell tale sign will be when I head to my second job in an hour, which requires that I be on my feet a lot (I work days at an office job and a few nights in retail for extra money). The toe is about the same as it was yesterday.

And when I say it feels like Raynaud's, I mean that it has that prickly feeling like Raynaud's gets--hard to describe but those with the disease will know what I mean!

Liz and Clarissajo--I will look through the other thread later tonight or tomorrow. I am cruched for time but appreciate all of your feedback and help!

Hi , don’t know if this could be it but just a thought…
My son suffered from frostbite over the XMas holidays, the symptoms sound exactly like yours and only affect a couple of toes on each foot. It was so similar to my EM symptoms I began to panic at the thought of having passed on this horrible disease!!!
Worth looking into!! Sometimes it doesn’t have to be the worst most complicated scenario :wink: