Does anyone get itching with flares?

I've had EM for 1 1/2 years but just recently it seems like when I'm having a flare, especially in my hands, they itch plus sometimes just feel itchy all over.

It might not be the EM because I haven't slept in four nights & only really gotten about 12 hours sleep over the last week. I feel like my body is falling about & just attaching itself.

Lisa:

Yes, alot of the time I get itchy, rub on oil, then a few minutes later.. I'm itchy again, feels like a bug bite, I look... nothing is there!! Sometimes I get several places all over my body at the same time (insides of my arms, back of my hand, down around my calves, bottom of my feet etc.) itchy, shooting pain, pinch, like there's a bug crawling.

Usually, within a few hours is when I notice a flare starting... I would actually have to pay closer attention to see how often it occurs.

Hang in there.... I see you haven't been sleeping... Watch out for some depression just chill & rest... Sleep deprivation plays tricks on your mind & your bod !!!!

Your not alone... Just a little bump in the road :)

Thanks Gwen for the encouraging words. Yes, I'm extremely depressed & feel hopeless. I know that is quite common with such terrible chronic pain diseases. I just got an appointment to see an acupuncturist this afternoon. I'm really praying it will help.

Gwen said:

Lisa:

Yes, alot of the time I get itchy, rub on oil, then a few minutes later.. I'm itchy again, feels like a bug bite, I look... nothing is there!! Sometimes I get several places all over my body at the same time (insides of my arms, back of my hand, down around my calves, bottom of my feet etc.) itchy, shooting pain, pinch, like there's a bug crawling.

Usually, within a few hours is when I notice a flare starting... I would actually have to pay closer attention to see how often it occurs.

Hang in there.... I see you haven't been sleeping... Watch out for some depression just chill & rest... Sleep deprivation plays tricks on your mind & your bod !!!!

Your not alone... Just a little bump in the road :)

I’ve also noticed lots of itching lately, mostly on my neck where I’ve scratched it quite badly but occasionally I’ve had it all over my body. I’m not sure I’ve noticed a link between flares but had been getting almost constant flares for a while, luckily they’re fewer in quantity over the last week.

Well, a lot of my itching is the palm of my hands which in the past has been an indication of an allergic reaction to a drug. I'm only on Nexium for acid reflux, which is the only one I've been able to tolerate, for the past 5 years & Xanax for relaxation that doesn't make me drowsy like most people. I don't really know what to do to try to figure out if it is a side effect or a flare because my palms are red when they start to itch. It is very discouraging & overwhelming to think now I might be allergic to the only two drugs that help me some.

I actually forgot to take my Nexium the other morning because I was in the ER & I had terrible heartburn all night plus the pain so of course I couldn't sleep. I guess I will have to live with the itching because it is clear I can't survive without the Nexium.

YES!!! I itch also with my flares!!! Let us know how you like acupuncture!

Yes, I itch too. Mainly top of back and neck, sometimes forearms and usually at night which is when I am likely to get my daily flare up.

Never thought to connect the two but your question has got me thinking now.

I was inclined to put it down to being generally tired at the end of the day. My EM is currently under control - long may it last.

I do know what it feels like to have no sleep for four days and you have my sympathy. I hope you get some decent shut eye soon.

I had this with my severe (and very first) flare-up last winter (a flare which lasted months with no relief). My EM first showed up as a couple of spots on my toes that I assumed were some kind of bug bite because they were red and super itchy. Then I noticed that more spots were showing up and that they were symmetrical (same on each foot) and I knew something was up. The swollen, red, itchy, tenderness eventually covered my toes last winter and I was waddling around my house on my heels. So far this winter, I only have a couple of spots of the tender, persistent flare and I really hope it doesn't spread as much as last year (now that I know not to let my feet get hot if I can help it).

Thanks for all the replies, I will mention the itching when I get my appointment through for the hospital. Do anybody take medication to ease this os is this just something I will have to get used to..??

can't type much or flare in forearms & hands. I think a lot of itiching is reaction to drugs. I am taking hydroxyzine 25mg to counter itching,

lauraflora1 said:

Thanks for all the replies, I will mention the itching when I get my appointment through for the hospital. Do anybody take medication to ease this os is this just something I will have to get used to..??

So glad you started this discussion lisers… Helped me make the connection with EM/drugs rather than me wondering if it was something separate…

lisers, I just wanted to let you know that I have the itching with some flares (not all, strangely) and I am not on any drugs. The flares are on my toes (and nothing's changed about my floor/detergent/location/diet/shoes). I'm quite sure it is just a part of the EM in my case. Itching is only mentioned in some resources about EM (not all), so maybe it is just even rarer than EM itself?

lisers said:

Well, a lot of my itching is the palm of my hands which in the past has been an indication of an allergic reaction to a drug. I'm only on Nexium for acid reflux, which is the only one I've been able to tolerate, for the past 5 years & Xanax for relaxation that doesn't make me drowsy like most people. I don't really know what to do to try to figure out if it is a side effect or a flare because my palms are red when they start to itch. It is very discouraging & overwhelming to think now I might be allergic to the only two drugs that help me some.

I actually forgot to take my Nexium the other morning because I was in the ER & I had terrible heartburn all night plus the pain so of course I couldn't sleep. I guess I will have to live with the itching because it is clear I can't survive without the Nexium.