Ears (Auricular EM)

The EM was only affecting my legs and now it is affecting my hands and now my ears. They are on fire all the time and itch inside. Any suggestions on how to help my ears? Also I live in Littleton Colorado and I am in need of a new doctor. Does anyone know of a good dr. In my area? The doctor I have is not helping me at all!:(

Hi Shannon,

I've had some trouble with my ears sometimes, had to stop using headphones. Usually one of them becomes really hot, sweating outside the ear, feels like there are cuts outside and it itches inside (whilst it feels like they're sweating inside as well). I use cotton buds when to scratch it but I know it's not a good idea as it pushes the wax deeper into the ear.

Don't know any doctors in the US, sorry.

Hope it has improved by now!

Hi Shannon.

Have you checked out members services above? If you go there there is a doctors database so hopefully you can find someone there.

I get it on my ears and face as well. I lay my face on a chillow you can get from the internet and some drug stores. That and lowering the temp in the whole house which helps prevent the flares in the first place.

I hope this helps.

I have frequent episodes when my ears are extremely red, hot and painful. When not at their worst, fans and cool rooms will help. At their very worst, the only thing I've found to help is sleeping with refrigerated Gel'O Cool Pillow Mats under my pillow case. I absolutely adore these cool mats.

One of the members mentioned previously that EM is a condition that can be constantly changing. I totally agree. I have had EM for around 20 years with stages when my feet were the worst, then my hands, then my face etc. etc. For me, the most painful are the hot, red ears. But because of the many changes over the years I always hold hope that someday there may be a change for the better.

The chillin sounds like your best option for your ears. Id do that or stick some ear covers(the ones that are like individual coverings for ur ears in the winter time) in the freezer and use those.

Hi... I have 7 Chillows all over my house but I use them to keep my feet on under my desk or the dining room table. Three of my Chillows have broken open at the seams. I have no idea why they are breaking like this. I have followed directions. Any suggestions? Thanks. Ronni

Alina Delp said:

Hi Shannon.

Have you checked out members services above? If you go there there is a doctors database so hopefully you can find someone there.

I get it on my ears and face as well. I lay my face on a chillow you can get from the internet and some drug stores. That and lowering the temp in the whole house which helps prevent the flares in the first place.

I hope this helps.

I have to be very careful to keep clothing and my hands away from my neck and should always use speaker on the phone in the afternoon/evening or my ears will flare but along with my nose and to me it’s the worse kind of flaring. Both ears and nose swell and I feel I can’t breathe or hear properly My ears buzz too like on an airplane. As Alina says a chillow or cold air are the only ways to calm it down. My ears itch persistently but I swim a lot so have rather blamed the itch on swimming.
I so agree with you Viking. My EM is very different now from when it started.

1 Like

My ears flare if the sun's rays get on them. I find if I wear a hat to cover them outside (or even in a car if the sun shines on them) that it helps avoid the flares on them. I don't know if that'll help you at all, but it might help avoid some flares with them. I've always been at a loss as to how to cool them off once they flare. Good luck!!!

Dear Shannon ,

So sorry to hear you now have auricular EM , I know how distressing that can be.

Community members have given you some ideas . Cooling tips include : use of chillow pads, ice packs covered with cloth (never apply direct to skin), lidocaine topical gel, biofreeze gel, damp cloth over ears and under fan on full blast.

Also- try to minimise triggers - heat, stress, fatigue and exertion.

Lifestyle changes - stay out of sun, keep cool etc....

Couple of good articles here that you may find helpful.

Wishing you a more 'comfortable' night

God bless

Hi Shannon

I too have the same problem with my ears ... They turn bright red when I have a flare and seem to pulsate with heat ! .... I know this sounds strange, but I also have a continual problem with my tongue..... From the middle to the tip is always a bright red, hot, so sore and sensitive as though I have eaten something with a red food dye ..... There is nothing to be done and I just have to grin and bear it I suppose...... With my ears, my nose and cheeks with their lovely "butterfly tattoo" ( I was asked if I had had a tattoo on my face !) At least I am colour co ordinated ! ......... I used to be on this site a lot after finally being diagnosed after 6 years with this dreadful disease .... I was becoming so miserable and depressed I went into some kind of total denial ..... Refused to take medication ..... Grit my teeth and went on my normal dog walking marathons and did I suffer, but i was too bloody minded to give in ..... It lasted for about 6/7 weeks of purgatory! ...... Swollen blistering feet, the back of my calves, thighs and the cheeks of my butt going into spasms and cramps, hands like red bunches of bannanas, with the tips of my fingers all cracked and bleeding, each nail split down the middle and catching on anything I touched .... Then to top it all off I started with Em in the genital area .... Oh the JOY ! ... I was at my wits end, tearing my hair out with the pain and lack of sleep .... I was almost dead on my feet ! lol .... No pun intended ! ....I finally admitted defeat and went back on my medication, patches and cream and the relief was palpable ! ....... Take care and good luck hon ....

I wish I had a good idea for keeping the Chillow from breaking. I have extra complications because I have 2 cats! I just always keep a pillow case on mine unless I am using it at the time. You may also try laying a pillow case on the floor under the Chillow just in case there is some debris of sorts tracked in from out side so there isn’t anything on the floor that can puncture it .

ronniteach said:

Hi… I have 7 Chillows all over my house but I use them to keep my feet on under my desk or the dining room table. Three of my Chillows have broken open at the seams. I have no idea why they are breaking like this. I have followed directions. Any suggestions? Thanks. Ronni

Alina Delp said:

Hi Shannon.

I hope this helps.

I have had better luck with the Gel'O Cool Pillow Mats than I did with Chillows. My Chillows would always end up leaking. I switched to these gel-filled mats that don't need to be filled with water. I've had them for ages & haven't had any problems. They do lose their cool from my hot face & ears so I have several in a small frig in my bedroom to change out as needed. They are pillow size and easy to transport for use in hotels.

It seems to me that EM affecting the ears and face in general is not such a rare condition as the pundits often declare,

Hi cloudyskye.

Thrilled to see you .

How are you doing?

Biggest hug

mads x

cloudyskye said:

Hi Shannon

I too have the same problem with my ears ... They turn bright red when I have a flare and seem to pulsate with heat ! .... I know this sounds strange, but I also have a continual problem with my tongue..... From the middle to the tip is always a bright red, hot, so sore and sensitive as though I have eaten something with a red food dye ..... There is nothing to be done and I just have to grin and bear it I suppose...... With my ears, my nose and cheeks with their lovely "butterfly tattoo" ( I was asked if I had had a tattoo on my face !) At least I am colour co ordinated ! ......... I used to be on this site a lot after finally being diagnosed after 6 years with this dreadful disease .... I was becoming so miserable and depressed I went into some kind of total denial ..... Refused to take medication ..... Grit my teeth and went on my normal dog walking marathons and did I suffer, but i was too bloody minded to give in ..... It lasted for about 6/7 weeks of purgatory! ...... Swollen blistering feet, the back of my calves, thighs and the cheeks of my butt going into spasms and cramps, hands like red bunches of bannanas, with the tips of my fingers all cracked and bleeding, each nail split down the middle and catching on anything I touched .... Then to top it all off I started with Em in the genital area .... Oh the JOY ! ... I was at my wits end, tearing my hair out with the pain and lack of sleep .... I was almost dead on my feet ! lol .... No pun intended ! ....I finally admitted defeat and went back on my medication, patches and cream and the relief was palpable ! ....... Take care and good luck hon ....