Foods and Food Additives that may cause FLARES in EM

Hi Greg

Hope you are doing okay. You mentioned a few months ago that you were having some success with Lyrica? I am just wondering if this is still the case?

blue

Hi blue -

The jury is still out on that one - The short answer is that it may have had some relieving effect - BUT - during the last month or so I was increasing the dose of Lyrica up to the 2 x 300mg daily and the side effects were increasing to the point to where it was causing more health issues, predominantly drowsiness and feeling knackered (buggered, stuffed, hung out wrung out) - Plus it was making my lower leg (shin/ankle) edema worse and I didn't think that it was doing a great lot to help with the flares of my feet .... but it seemed to help with the Mystery Pain in my Right Foot which was like 'Mortons Neuroma' or GOUT of some description, but all the tests they done came back negative for anything.

The only thing they could find was that there were 'some changes' to the bones in my right foot - ie: arthritis ... I have NOT seen the X-rays personally - just been told that there was nothing significant ... But I can tell you that the PAIN I was feeling WAS significant - I couldn't bear any weight on it without a walking aid, 6 weeks of it and 5 different doctors, 3 visits to the hospital emergency and 3 visits to different General Practicioners later the last Doc said "We don't know what is causing the acute pain but here take this Lyrica and see if it works" - that was at the start of November 2014.

Whether it was/is some form of Mortons Neuroma or not I have no idea, but I have been able to get around the last week without my walking stick for support as the Pain that was incredibly intense has subsided considerably - and over the last 2 weeks I have cut back on the Lyrica to 2 x 150mg daily and feeling better with less of it in my system and continue to cut it down even further over the next few weeks to ultimately get off the stuff if possible to see if it does or does not have any benefits - I am unsure of it at the moment - I think perhaps whatever was causing the pain in my right foot has settled down naturally ??? by stopping the Lyrica I hope to find out ...

BUT don't let that stop you from trying it for yourself - as we are all different and that is where the main problem lies with the EM - so many similarities but so many things causing or contributing to the EM as to make it a personal journey into help for it ..

I wish you well with your endeavours -

Cheers & take care -

Greg.

blue said:

Hi Greg

Hope you are doing okay. You mentioned a few months ago that you were having some success with Lyrica? I am just wondering if this is still the case?

blue

Thanks Greg,

I am glad to hear the entense pain in your right foot is subsiding. I am still looking at trying lyrica. Years ago I trialled it for migraine prevention. I was not focussing on what it was doing for my EM because it was quite well controlled by an extreme elimination diet. This is not the case anymore so I am determined to trial any meds that might help. That's one of my plans for 2015.

thank you for telling me of your experience with lyrica

blue

Frostbite, thank you for this well thought out research… I will check out thiamine in regard to my own issues next… Also, I’ll be watching out for Carrageenan in any products that I use from now on due to your information in this article! Who knew!? You are right, this seems to have been swept under the rug for years…

Thanks for this post, i will have to try to apply this information to the food i pick :grin: