Are certain foods the root of the problem?

Has anyone had success by changing their diet completely. I have noticed that after eating, sometimes I will get flare ups. I have been keeping a log for awhile now. Any input with be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Better yet, has anyone ever done a complete detox? Like a 21 day program to rid yourself of toxins and begin from there.

I’ve found that tomatoes and chocolate bother my feet. They turn bright red. My doctor suggested something called Vessel Care. She actually had me taking it for my AFib, but it has really helped my feet plus decreasing wheat in my diet.

Stay away from spicy food, I notice an immediate reaction when eating hot spicy food!

I flare if the foods I eat contain sulfites and/or MSG. Especially sulfites. I check the ingredients of all the food I buy.

amen. :) I also react to spicy food, but it's more like an immediate reaction, i dont think it has some long term effect.

Dominique said:

Stay away from spicy food, I notice an immediate reaction when eating hot spicy food!

I have to say Sharonlee you have made me think! I adore chocolate but never thought of this as a trigger but before Christmas I had a terrible few weeks with my EM on my feet (my main area) and experienced a rash all over my body, especially my neck and chest area and palms of hands. My GP said it was an allergic reaction and suggested I changed my washing powder but this did not help. Did not associate the rash with my EM as did not realise (until reading discussions today) it could show itself in this way. Well, I basically ate chocolate as though it was going out of fashion - too many tins of Roses, Quality Street and Celebrations on offer in our local Tesco! Bought for Christmas, eaten well before and replenished - and eaten again (I am an emotional eater and was feeling down! - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it, lol!) I have since cut my chocolate right down again and my symptoms, although still there of course, have settled down again. I also ate a lot more bread over the Christmas period than I usually would, so again I will see if cutting out wheat will help me feel better. Also, what is Vessel Care?

Sharonlee said:

I've found that tomatoes and chocolate bother my feet. They turn bright red. My doctor suggested something called Vessel Care. She actually had me taking it for my AFib, but it has really helped my feet plus decreasing wheat in my diet.

I don't believe that foods are the "root" of the problem, but I do believe that they exacerbate the problem.

I have developed this list of foods that exacerbate my EM symptoms. At the top is a link to a technical interview of Stephen Waxman, which was the source of information that I came across that prompted me to look at foods in the first place.

Feel free to use as you see fit:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O148kV9QpoLd50Sm9hYmwgXfV_VcsYV...

I developed GERD not long before developing EM, so the onset of my EM was preceded by a huge diet change (as well as sleeping on an incline, never flat).

I agree with Don, while I find a large number of foods make my symptoms worse, I don't believe it's food alone. I react badly to Gluten, anything with MSG, even foods natrually high in it such as tomatoes and broccoli, dairy, soy, sugar, all alcohol and most fruit. I have tried detox and very restricted diets for upto 3 months at a time and only saw a small improvement in symptoms. Although I am Gluten free now as that causes me major flare ups.

Don Jones said:

I don't believe that foods are the "root" of the problem, but I do believe that they exacerbate the problem.

I have developed this list of foods that exacerbate my EM symptoms. At the top is a link to a technical interview of Stephen Waxman, which was the source of information that I came across that prompted me to look at foods in the first place.

Feel free to use as you see fit:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O148kV9QpoLd50Sm9hYmwgXfV_VcsYV...

I wouldnt say it better. :)

Don Jones said:

I haven't done a complete detox but I have been juicing for the last 8 months or so. My symptoms have significantly improved. I also gave up alcohol and between that and juicing my feet are MUCH LESS swollen, my body temperature is lower, I am better hydrated and my feet rarely get warm. I doubt I can be in the hot sun but living in Chicago I am comfortable at least 9 months out of the year. I am thinking about doing the full detox. I would love to hear from others.

jjwags23 said:

Better yet, has anyone ever done a complete detox? Like a 21 day program to rid yourself of toxins and begin from there.

Gluten is known to be inflammatory.... I've been gluten free since Nov 2008 when I was dx with celiac disease. Interesting that people say spicy foods, I ate chili last night and woke up with my right leg swollen and bright red, both feet on fire. Definitely avoid alcohol, that is one of my main triggers.

I have done the Total detox and what helped me stay on course for 18 days was my husband doing it also. He is a cancer patient and feels better after he does this also.We do the detox with the Cleanse pills from Health Foods that cleansing and goes though the liver. It does make a difference.

I agree certain food Trigger a flare in a minute and spicy food in at the top of that list. We check ingredients now. I love sheese sticks and it states on bag "spices" after I had a flare each time I ate them I am originally from La. and have eaten spicy foods all my life and it hurts to cut back and learn to cook without and spice.

But we are learning.

jjwags23 said:

I have noticed hi glucose & simple carbs seems to cause more flare ups

I keep a log for a few days each month

helps see what is happening

good luck