HRT/menopause and EM

Anyone else had EM triggered by menopause? Anyone been helped/hindered by HRT? My GP put me on it, as my EM seemed to really get going as a result of menopause - but I'm in two minds as to whether it really helps or not. I'm using a patch....

FrancesE

My Gp kept trying to tell me my EM was just Menopause!! I thought I was going crazy because I knew it wasn't.I kept telling him you don't understand my skin on my whole body looks like a bad sunburn!! And was warm to touch and I was sweating all over and my hands and feet burning.Then I found this websight and went back and told them this is what I have!then I changed drs to a female Rheumatologist and she is wonderful.I can't take hormones they don't agree with me I got really bad crying spells with them.Hope you have better luck than I did.Hope this helps.

I take estrace 0.5mg (have been on estrogen for a couple years till I couldnt afford it recently and they switched me to estrace) Estrace does not work as good, having lots of hot flashes and problems related to menopause.

Yes, I believe my EM was triggered by menopause, as that is when my symptoms appeared. I am not taking anything, but have been seriously thinking about some HRT, as I am barely sleeping because of hot flashes and burning feet at night. My feeling is that if I can control the menopause symptoms, maybe it will help with the EM. It is starting to take its toll on me. I would also like to hear if anyone is having any luck with HRT.

No luck with that for me. I too think my EM all started with menopause however I did just recently take estrogen for about three months and it did nothing. With that said we all have EM for different reasons and I think anything is worth a try.

The only relief I get from my EM is antihistamines. I seem to be one of the few that have gotten a fair amount of relief. I still suffer but most day time flares are gone and the night ones have also improved. Good luck to you and I would like to say again how grateful I am to have this site and to know there are actually others who understand how I am feeling.

Hi Norah, that's really interesting about the antihistamines - whatever works! It makes sense as they can be vasodilators... what kind do you take? Do you have to be continually on the antihistamine?

FrancesE

Norahs said:

No luck with that for me. I too think my EM all started with menopause however I did just recently take estrogen for about three months and it did nothing. With that said we all have EM for different reasons and I think anything is worth a try.

The only relief I get from my EM is antihistamines. I seem to be one of the few that have gotten a fair amount of relief. I still suffer but most day time flares are gone and the night ones have also improved. Good luck to you and I would like to say again how grateful I am to have this site and to know there are actually others who understand how I am feeling.

Hi Frances

I am continually on them..........I take 2 Claritin (loratadine, which can be bought at costco for cheap) plus I take Hydroyzine (10mg) at night. Because I responded to antihhistamines my doctor is treating me as if I have a Mast Cell issue. This is new treatment which I have been on for 3 months. For this I take Singular (for the ingredient in it) plus I take 2 Zantac (again for the ingredient in it). After being on both of these for a short time I noticed I had more Raynaud's than EM........interesting, huh? I go back to the doc next week so we will reassess my progress then. Maybe he will readjust dosages and we can find a happy medium. At least that is my hope.

I am also now involved in mind/body/spirt Yoga (Dahn) which has helped more than I can tell you. It's all about breathing/energy/circulation (which is probably my problem) and tho I have been going only a short time I feel a new energy that went away when I got my EM. the nerves in my feet also show some improvement and my depression is much improved so I am very hopeful.

Again, not everything will work for everyone but I would strongly suggest trying everything (i did) and yogo is just good for the soul and is just might help.

Good luck,

Sharon

FrancesE said:

Hi Norah, that's really interesting about the antihistamines - whatever works! It makes sense as they can be vasodilators... what kind do you take? Do you have to be continually on the antihistamine?

FrancesE

Norahs said:

Thanks for the tip about Claritin.I tried it and my flares are almost totally gone!! I would of never believed just changing my allergy medicine would help so much.I take a a claritin and half a Xanax every morning and they have almost completely stopped.My co workers can't believe how much it helped.I just hope it continues to work.Once again THANK YOU so much!! I feel like I have my life back!!

Norahs said:

Hi Frances

I am continually on them..........I take 2 Claritin (loratadine, which can be bought at costco for cheap) plus I take Hydroyzine (10mg) at night. Because I responded to antihhistamines my doctor is treating me as if I have a Mast Cell issue. This is new treatment which I have been on for 3 months. For this I take Singular (for the ingredient in it) plus I take 2 Zantac (again for the ingredient in it). After being on both of these for a short time I noticed I had more Raynaud's than EM........interesting, huh? I go back to the doc next week so we will reassess my progress then. Maybe he will readjust dosages and we can find a happy medium. At least that is my hope.

I am also now involved in mind/body/spirt Yoga (Dahn) which has helped more than I can tell you. It's all about breathing/energy/circulation (which is probably my problem) and tho I have been going only a short time I feel a new energy that went away when I got my EM. the nerves in my feet also show some improvement and my depression is much improved so I am very hopeful.

Again, not everything will work for everyone but I would strongly suggest trying everything (i did) and yogo is just good for the soul and is just might help.

Good luck,

Sharon

FrancesE said:

FrancesE

Norahs said:

> crazygrandma: wow! im happy for you the antihistamines helped you that much! thats a great thing! i know how it feels to get the rid of EM and have your life back, i swear there could be nothing better! also after all the pain i believe the EM ppl appreciate their health much more than others who never went thru anything that painfull. i hope your relief will be permanent. btw this shows how completely different things help different ppl with the same diagnosis. very interesting.

xoxo, Liz

Thanks Liz I'm still shocked at the difference it has made.When you feel as bad as we do your right were willing to try anything!! And it does make me

appreciate my health more.I was really dreading summer time because I was afraid I would have to give up rideing our motorcycle with my husband.That's what I love about this web sight people here really understand what we go thru.

liz said:

> crazygrandma: wow! im happy for you the antihistamines helped you that much! thats a great thing! i know how it feels to get the rid of EM and have your life back, i swear there could be nothing better! also after all the pain i believe the EM ppl appreciate their health much more than others who never went thru anything that painfull. i hope your relief will be permanent. btw this shows how completely different things help different ppl with the same diagnosis. very interesting.

xoxo, Liz

Well it was short lived the antihistamines are no longer helping.So as the weather warms up my attacks are back.

crazygrandma said:

Thanks Liz I'm still shocked at the difference it has made.When you feel as bad as we do your right were willing to try anything!! And it does make me

appreciate my health more.I was really dreading summer time because I was afraid I would have to give up rideing our motorcycle with my husband.That's what I love about this web sight people here really understand what we go thru.

liz said:

xoxo, Liz

Hi all. Last year I had to take Benadryl one evening and noticed that I had NO flaring in my toes that night. So I took it again the next night, but had some slight, patchy flaring areas. The third night of Benadryl my toes flared as if I hadn't taken anything. Just chiming in with another account of antihistamines helping EM for only a short time. Strange!

Oh, and I should also mention - looking at the topic that started this thread - that my flares began in the couple of years following the removal of one of my ovaries, and DURING treatment with Depo-Provera (which was a nightmare on its own). So, although I am only in my twenties, hormonal issues could be related for me too. I even had a genuine hot flash during the time that Depo was finally clearing out of my system.