New to this great forum + questions!

Hi K-ren,
Thank you so much for your reply! I have callous soles and now I have itchy bumps on the back of my heels, even when taking an antifungal orally, not sure what this is.
Thank you for your tips!
I also wash my feet with an emulsion (to keep the lipids on the skin replenished) containing undecylenic acid which is antifungal. "And yet it moves"...
Some physiotherapists have told me to keep the dry skin on my soles as it is there for a reason, others tell me to get rid of it, not sure what to do.
I did see somewhere that EM can cause itching, but this one is only between the toes and went away with an antifungal. And then returned after 2 weeks, despite still taking the antifungal. Hope that if it is a fungus it hasn't become resistant. I told a dermatologist about the itching being so strong that prevented me from sleeping but as I was in the 2 week period of okayness they ignored me. Will see a new doctor soon, wish me luck!
Take care

K-ren said:

I also have dry callous foot skin, and occasionally bumps which I associate with a return of fungal infection. I do get rid of fungal infections but they come back for me a couple times a year. Its like a different sort of flare that keeps its own schedule. I have been fighting this for years and different things worked at different times. The best weapons so far have been doc prescribed ketoconazole and mitoconazole creams, taking time to thoroughly dry my feet after bathing, using OTC dry powder athletes foot spray before shoes go on. I find that moisturizers do not help my feet much because they are so dry nothing seems to penetrate. A massage therapist suggested for severe dry skin to add a Tablespoon of emu oil (mostly available at healthfood stores or online) to bath water. Being desperate and also sensitive to allot of lotions, I tried it. I now take baths occasionally just to have this relief for my skin. It does make my skin softer, less irritated overall, and seems to help the athletes foot problem as well-- maybe it makes the medications penetrate better as well? Unsure --but that is my current routine.

I get a chills type of feeling when I am having bad flares-- a similar feeling to when you are cold but have a fever. Also if your feet are burning at night it could be the EM and not athletes foot-- if your sleep is being interrupted you should contact your diagnosing doc and see if you can try some meds or get your meds adjusted.
Tarsius said:

Hello K-ren,

Thank you for you comment!

Can you tell me how you got rid of the fungal infections? I'm extremely careful and used several antifungals (and a UVC device on the shoes) but still get them.

I see that the tests that can differentiate between the 3 types of EM and would allow getting a more tupe-specific medication can be problematic since it is hard to induce flaring at will for so many people (me included).

I've also been having trouble sleeping lately, waking up frequently with flares. I'm thought it might be due to using a duvet but I was almost shivering last night and still had them. And also have dry eyes and feet skin (callous in the sole). For me also, tiny bumps also can cause excruciating pain but not always (maybe more so when it happens during a flare).

Thank you for your detailed description, I'll complete mine a bit more!

All the best to you!

Tarsius,

I have had success with tons of exercise and was in warm springs rehab for two weeks and they exercised me five times a day and I got better. They sent me home, an now I do exercise five times a week including three deep massages a week. I am getting better!

Hope you feel better soon. Let me know if this helps.

Betty

Hi Betty, I happy you're feeling better!

Now just walking for a bit, or even tapping my feet to the sound of funky music, triggers flaring, so exercise isn't something very appealing right now! Maybe massages, but I'm scared of letting people touch my feet as they are sore.

Thank you and take care!