New Turkish study: Positive response to pregabalin and antidepressants (SSRI) 2015

Hi Guys,

Seems that EM is finally getting a little more attention, which is fantastic news :).

'A Case of Erythromelalgia: Good Response to Combination Treatment with Pregabalin and Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor'

Atiye Oğrum et al (2015)

Turkish study which reports a significant response to a combination treatment of pregabalin and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors such as sertraline (Zoloft), fluoxetine (Prozac) paroxetine (Paxil) Tramadol (Ultram). Sertraline was used in the study. Research has not previously reported on this combination , so its of great interest . Dissemination suggests that this combination may be a new alternative treatment option for erythromelalgia.

Are you taking Pregabalin and an SSRI ?

Please share your experience of this combination treatment with fellow commmunity members.

104-GoodResponsetocombinationtreatmentofpregabalinandselectiveserotoninreuptakeinhibitorOgrumetal.2015TurkishAcademyofDermatology..pdf (192 KB)

Hi folks.

I am on a combo of Pregabalin and Duloxetine (Cymbalta, a SNRI) and find that they seem to work synergistically. I am on a low dose of each (15mg Duloxetine; 106mg Pregabalin per day) and thus can lessen the side effects of each. It has really helped with the pain and most night I get a full 8 hours. And it helps somewhat with the redness and swelling. Having said that, although I am much better than I was before medication, I nonetheless have daily flares and breakthrough pain in the late evening.

Dragica

Thanks Mads - I have downloaded it and looks an in depth study - I will read it all later and make some observations and comments - We need ALL the HELP we can get - Thanks for finding such great articles for us ....

Cheers & Take Care

frostbite

Dragica said:

Having said that, although I am much better than I was before medication, I nonetheless have daily flares and breakthrough pain in the late evening.

What do you mean by "breakthrough pain"? How significant are your flares with Pregabalin and Duloxetine? Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hi CarterDK.

What I mean is that in the late evening I have pain irrespective of these medications. I have to resort to cooling foot baths to reduce swelling and pain. During the day, if I stay in cool surroundings, the meds do the trick as long as I don't stand too long. My flares in the evening can become very bad BUT I don't let them any more. I find that if I do it seems to cause blistering and cracking of my skin (which leads to skin lesions that do not want to heal).

Dragica

Hi all

I'm currently taking 100mg simultaneous which is an SSRI, plus 250mg prevailing and 10mg microphone and this combo was working well for me until recently, but now for some reason my flares are getting more frequent. I'm planning to increase the prevailing again and if that doesn't help I'm going back to my neurologist for some more suggestions.

Jayne