Scalp Pain?

Does anyone with EM have scalp "flare ups?" My scalp hurts so bad sometimes it's hard to even run my fingers through my hair. Not sure if this is part of the EM, and was wondering if anyone else out there has heard of this? Thanks:-)

1 Like

Libby,

its funny you mentioned this. This happend to meet the same day you posted this discussion. I have noticed my scalp from time to time and couldn't figure out if I got hit or what. It hurts like I was hit with a hammer or something on several occasions.

Char

I've had scalp tendernous and itching off and on for years, and spells of itchy dry skin all over. Finally this past year found out it's mostly allergic reactions to formaldehyde-releasing ingredients found in most shampoos and other hair care products. The dermatologist did TRUE tests to determine. She didn't think type IV allergy would be the problem, but it was. Also had a bit of a fungal issue she found which seems due to skin health being compromised by the allergies, so had to use Lopromax prescription shampoo for a while. Now to avoid the formaldehyde reactions I look for shampoos that do not contain Quaternium-15, DMDM Hydantoin, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Tris Nitro or Bronopol. Neutragena has at least one safe shampoo and I otherwise shop at health food stores.

My skin allergies now cause flushing and trigger the EM, so important to keep under control. I do suspect that whatever causes my skin sensitivities is also what causes my EM, due to relatives who also have both problems. BTW allergists often don't test for or treat type IV hypersensitivities. Most only deal with type I. So dermatologists are a better bet. And a lot of fabrics and soaps also contain formaldehyde, so it's a real challenge. But by far my biggest problem is shampoo/conditioner.

I hope you figure out what is triggering your flare ups and things improve for you too.

Wow, I have been complaining and trying to get answers for scalp pain before I even got a dx for EM. Docs considered it a "vague" symptoms and blew it off. After a year of working hard to understand what pain is EM vs., FMS/CFS I am convinced the scalp pain is EM. I also get flushing and burning on my face which sweats profusely. The top of my scalp will hurt so bad I cannot even run my fingers through it. I thought is was a derm problem and have been using dandruff shampoo for well over a year with no real change. However, I do also have derm. issues also. With no insight or recommendation I have been told I have everything from cellulitis, eczema, psoriasis and foliculitius (excuse spelling errors :)). I also have issues with abscesses which are a good sign I am going to have a flare up. Whew, even I am getting confused. However, with the heat/flushing/sweating I still suspect EM as a culprit to my scalp issues.

I've noticed some scalp "sensitivity" from time to time.

Don

My scalp is very sensitive and hurts terribly when I use most hair products. I have to use special products that I purchase at the health food store or salon.

Hi Libby;

I am really knew to this condition EM but I have had problems with my head for about 6 months now, and the more and more I thought about it the more convinced I became that it was a symptom of my EM. I have mentioned this on several occasions to my Dr and they said that this was nothing to do with EM and has even treated me for psorasis before thinking it was that. So I am pleased to know I am not alone, how are you getting on with relieving your symptoms x

I have scalp pain especially in the winter and now wear a wooly hat in bed. I have found that a shower body wash made with glycerine (no soap) is good for washing my hair. I used to always wear my hair "up" but then had it cut and the movement of the "free" hair was unbearable on my scalp. It is now long enough to wear up again thank goodness.

Lyn, Cape Town

I have to correct this statement I made. The flyer from the derm said Neutragena has a formaldehyde-free shampoo (but didn't list the name of it). The one I found myself that my very allergic eyes and less allergic skin and scalp are not reacting to is by L'Oreal. The front label says it's a sulfate-free line of products they now have. Found it at the grocery store, amazingly.

Kentuckian said:

Neutragena has at least one safe shampoo and I otherwise shop at health food stores.

Besides chemical hypersensitivities I also have many types of Urticaria and dermographia, which l hear many other people with EM have.

My favorite source of online info for those problems is Dermnet NZ, which has great fact sheets and photos. Their link page entitled "Skin reactions to external agents" is a great place to go for info.

Yes, I get this sometimes, but when I really get it is when blow drying my hair, it seems to burn my scalp and I get an ‘ouch’ feeling, and after blow drying my hair, my scalp is very red. For a while I also got quite itchy in the scalp, and dry patches appeared too, but defiantly burning and redness to the scalp when the heat of drying my hair hits it.

Lauren said:

Yes, I get this sometimes, but when I really get it is when blow drying my hair, it seems to burn my scalp and I get an 'ouch' feeling, and after blow drying my hair, my scalp is very red. For a while I also got quite itchy in the scalp, and dry patches appeared too, but defiantly burning and redness to the scalp when the heat of drying my hair hits it.

My scalp is always red. My hairdresser was concerned and said I should wear a sunhat. I couldn't tell him about EM so I just agreed and I never have a blow dry after a cut as I can't stand the pain. Lyn

I’ve had this. Several sore spots like someone pressed on my scalp really hard with their fingers. I’ve also had it where my scalp is sore and hurts if the wind blows my hair. This never lasts long, and it’s infrequent, but it does happen. I also have hair thinning that started shortly before my first flare. I’m thankful I started out with thick hair, because i bet I’ve lost half of it. Btw, no scalp redness or sores. I’m happy to see this post because I’ve wondered if it’s related.

I found the problems I had with my scalp stopped almost completely when I started using a method of caring for my curly hair that means giving up shampoo. You wash you hair with conditioner instead, it's like using a cleanser on your face instead of soap and water. It also had the not-inconsiderable advantage of turning my frizzy mane into beautiful curls. I would recommend it to non-curlies as well.

If you want to use shampoo, try one without any sulphates, and only wash the scalp, reaching under your hair and using a firm massaging motion with your fingers. Then rinse thoroughly which will allow your hair to be cleansed by the shampoo flowing over it. This also means that you don't end up with tangled hair.