Schedule for aspirin

When I told the rheumatologist that I'd had some relief from a single (325 mg) aspirin, she recommended that I take THREE of those a day (with Zantac to minimize chance of internal bleeding). So I took two yesterday and two today, and I felt great today. I'm assuming that it's fine to stop until the next flare-up. Do others take this much? And if so, do you take it "as needed" or keep doing it as a preventative?

I'm new here, and maybe this has been discussed before. I didn't find anything on it when I searched for "aspirin dosage," but if it's been discussed, maybe somebody can suggest some good search terms to find past comments.

Dear LynnV,

great discussion post- thank you. Doses tend to vary - aspirin therapy is usually taken like all EM meds- preventative- to sustain symptom respite or minimisation. In terms of intervention - some papers do report high doses of up to 600 mg up to 4 times a day, but 'prevention' doses around 350 mg seem the norm. Personally I take 150 twice a day, but I must stress that aspirin or NSAIDS do not work for all EM'ers. If effective it tends to be found in secondary EM rather than primary. Please be careful with side effects, chronic toxicity etc.. Not everyone can take aspirin. Antihistamines are another vasodilation option - I find them really effective. Aspirin therapy, like all medications, requires careful monitoring by your medic.

I attach some research of interest

God bless

mads

300-ErythromelalgiarespondingtoaspirinKrishnanSYesudianPDJayaramanMJanIndianJDermatolVenereolLeprol.htm (51.8 KB)

I have recently started a regimen of one daily dose of 350mg. I haven't found any noticeable relief yet. I know people that get relief from it tend to get that relief quickly. I was wondering how quickly that is? Do you see a difference after one dose Or is it after it has been in your system a while? If it is supposed to help immediately I may as well stop taking it but I keep hoping it just takes more time. Thank you.

Take care,

Alina

I didn't get much help from the first dose, actually, and I stopped taking it because I'd read that people get relief in ten to fifteen minutes. A few days ago, I took a dose in the morning, and after an hour or two I thought it was helping. Took two doses the next day, spaced apart, and really felt better, so I've continued . Of course, cooler weather or something else could be responsible for the improvement, but I'm continuing it for now.

So I wouldn't give up until you've tried for a few days.

Alina Delp said:

I have recently started a regimen of one daily dose of 350mg. I haven't found any noticeable relief yet. I know people that get relief from it tend to get that relief quickly. I was wondering how quickly that is? Do you see a difference after one dose Or is it after it has been in your system a while? If it is supposed to help immediately I may as well stop taking it but I keep hoping it just takes more time. Thank you.

Take care,

Alina

Thank you LynnV.

That is encouraging! I know sometimes it is difficult to tell if something is working due to the fluctuating conditions and my EM fluctuates in severity even in the same condition. You might think something is helping but you just naturally having a better day or two. On the other hand you can think it isn't helping but it actually is because maybe you would have been worse off if it wasn't for the treatment . I find it difficult to make any decision on efficacy until I have tried something for a while.

Thanks again!

Alina

My doctor said that the blood thinning effects of aspirin that you get at 81 mg are the same at higher doses. I had no relief with the first dose but striking results for about 10 daily doses thereafter - no EM symptoms when I had been having nightly flares. The redness and pain have been reappearing over the past several weeks, unfortunately.

Guys - NB: i meant to put aspirin reported more effective in primary and certain types of secondary EM. Sorry about the typo mistake, i was really tired trying to catch up with stuff after the infection. Sorry to everyone. I just saw it now when reading thread.

I , too, have secondary like you Tizzy, Alina. I think its a case of trial/error - as usual ;)

Personally, have been taking for over a year- i think within the polypharmacy toolkit we all need its another thing we can take.It does, end of day, assist vasodilation. Assist subtly, maybe, but i feel in conjunction with the rest of my 'tools' it helps.As long as we have no other underlying problems and check with medic first of course!

Got hospital so im off

God bless

mads x

Dear Jordy

Re: posting you this great discussion on aspirin . There is plenty of research attached that you can download too.

To reiterate what I usually say. Personally, I find any med needs at least 6 weeks to kick in- some longer. My Sodium channel blockers didnt fully kick in and level off until 4 months. Most Dr's give you a 3 month turn around period to trial any medication fully. Some medications cause a rebound immediately- its called 'heightened sensitivity' . Hang on through that- bite the buller- it can subside .Advisable to tritate medications. (1) preallays side effects in terms of smaller dose more readily stopped (2) eases the medication into your bloodstream thus minimises side effects.

Aspirin therapy in the treatment of EM - from research and from my knowledge, usually given at around 350 mg. Aspirin , like many drugs, is seemingly dose dependent in terms of EM ie:it is considered that no further benefit with an increase in dose. I take 350 mg daily myself split between 2 doses. I saw some an effect around 4 weeks maybe. It is a great first line treatment for EM. As a vasodilator it is cheap, readily accessible and leaning towards favorable response.

Used especially in pediatric, primary EM and myeloprofilerative secondary EM.. Saying that I have non myeloprofilerative secondary and consider it to help fractionally with flares . I take it religiously. Aspirin alone probably will not suffice. Most of us advocate a polypharmacy approach to EM.

Other medications/therapies

Histamine

Anti depressant

Calcuim channel blockers

Nitric oxide

Sodium channel blockers

Immunosuppressants

I did post 2 discusions full of information for new members. I think i sent you details?

If you cant find just give me a shout Jordy Ok

Wishing my EM family a 'comfortable' night

God bless

mads

I think you where actually right the first time Maddy, after reading these great articles you posted. In one of em it says that '' Secondary erythromelalgia associated with myeloproliferative disease can be dramatically alleviated with high-dose aspirin therapy.''

Maybe secondary EM causes that are not associated with myeloproliferative disease do not respond to aspirin therapy, like with other autoimmune disorders or mushroom poisoning etc.

This is all so confusing lol

mads said:

Guys - NB: i meant to put aspirin found to be more effective in primary NOT secondary EM. Sorry about the typo mistake, i was really tired trying to catch up with stuff after the infection. Sorry to everyone. I just saw it now when reading thread.

mads x

I have no idea if I have primary or secondary EM but for two years had great relief from just one 75mg tablet a day. I have had to stop taking it and am not enjoying being plunged back into my pre-aspirin state.

I read about aspirin and I thought it was a joke. That's interesting because I thought people with autoimmune problems couldn't take aspirin.

mads said:

Dear Jordy

Re: posting you this great discussion on aspirin . There is plenty of research attached that you can download too.

To reiterate what I usually say. Personally, I find any med needs at least 6 weeks to kick in- some longer. My Sodium channel blockers didnt fully kick in and level off until 4 months. Most Dr's give you a 3 month turn around period to trial any medication fully. Some medications cause a rebound immediately- its called 'heightened sensitivity' . Hang on through that- bite the buller- it can subside .Advisable to tritate medications. (1) preallays side effects in terms of smaller dose more readily stopped (2) eases the medication into your bloodstream thus minimises side effects.

Aspirin therapy in the treatment of EM - from research and from my knowledge, usually given at around 350 mg. Aspirin , like many drugs, is seemingly dose dependent in terms of EM ie:it is considered that no further benefit with an increase in dose. I take 350 mg daily myself split between 2 doses. I saw some an effect around 4 weeks maybe. It is a great first line treatment for EM. As a vasodilator it is cheap, readily accessible and leaning towards favorable response.

Used especially in pediatric, primary EM and myeloprofilerative secondary EM.. Saying that I have non myeloprofilerative secondary and consider it to help fractionally with flares . I take it religiously. Aspirin alone probably will not suffice. Most of us advocate a polypharmacy approach to EM.

Other medications/therapies

Histamine

Anti depressant

Calcuim channel blockers

Nitric oxide

Sodium channel blockers

Immunosuppressants

I did post 2 discusions full of information for new members. I think i sent you details?

If you cant find just give me a shout Jordy Ok

Wishing my EM family a 'comfortable' night

God bless

mads