SPOTLIGHT ON : Living with EM and Hypothyroidism

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism before EM became noticeable. I also seemto have some degree of Reynauds, as feet are almost always freezing. Cold has crept up my legs in past decade and hands are also now frequently cold even when face is hot as Hades. My opinion is that all these conditions are auto immune disorders, with a foundation in stress – probably going back to childhood. Not to sound too “shrinky” here but I do suspect it originates with our family of origin’s attitudes and respect of who wé were as individuals even when young.

Think about the healthiest people you know… How different were their family dynamics from yours? What was their level of self confidence even when young? Put that into a pot with all the chemical exposures we may have had… And our bodies turn against us to some degree or another. Body, mind, and spirit get linked for very good reasons. I know in my own case that over the years, the more I’ve detoxed on all 3 fronts, the healthier I’ve gotten.

Hello,

First, let me say that I'm new, & very happy to have found this forum :-). This study (link follows) provides some insight re: relationship of hypothyroidism to small fiber neuropathy (which studies show a large percentage of people w/ EM have), & discusses both overt hypothyroidism as well as subclinical hypo. with respect to small fiber neuro. (& neuropathic symptoms generally, including burning pain). Also mentions that treatment for hypo. does seem to result in some nerve regeneration after ~ 1 year for many patients, along with some discussion of the link with autoimmune conditions, and autonomic neuropathy. This is just one study (from European Journal of Endicrinology, 2010), & I'm not sure about how representative (or accepted) the info. is generally, but seems to provide some good insight into the links involved:

http://www.eje-online.org/content/163/2/279.full.pdf

Title of article: Intraepidermal nerve fiber density reduction as a marker of preclinical asymptomatic small-fiber sensory neuropathy in hypothyroid patients