Vibration triggers EM flare

Hi everyone,
Has anyone experenced vibration i.e power tools, lawnmowers, mixers etc. causing flares of EM? I have worked in construction for years, when I would use any vibrating tool like a jackhammer or hammer drill, the vibration would set off the EM, with extreme itching to my hands and arms. The same would happen with my feet, if they were exposed to vibrations, but that was rarer, maybe a motorcycle…
My hands are very sensitive to concrete dust also, even down to the micron level, I try to avoid all concrete work, if I touch one thing, it will set my hands off into a flare I guess it is a allergy to chemicals in the Portland cement.
Just wondering if anyone has a similar trigger.

Hi Jon_sparky,

While I don't have much interaction with strong vibration tools, I have noticed that my hands flare when I have to grip anything too long. For example, gripping the bars of a bicycle is painful for me within a few minutes.

Do the power tools you use tend to get warm/hot when you use them after a few minutes? The heat from the tools could set off flares.

Take care!

Hi Jon,

My wife has an exercise machine that you stand on and the bed vibrates and shakes really fast and hard. I think me using it started my EM.

Jimmy Y

HI Jon.

IN addition to generating heat, vibrations themselves increase circulation by relaxing muscles and opening up blood vessels. That is why there are so many devices for pain that use vibrations. I have had that problem for years. And once the blood vessels open, a flare is more likely. Gripping things tightly for several minutes can also increase circulation, especially when one releases pressure.

Dragica

I think it was more of the vibration then the tool heating up. Yes, it did feel like the blood vessels opened up, similar to the time I tried to take niacin, but that is another disasterous story!

I don’t use any such tools but I have heard that prolonged use of vibrating tools can cause carple tunnel which is a type of neuropothy or at least it can cause nerve damage resulting in carple tunnel. Nerve issues are one of the many things that can cause EM to start so I could imagine it can make it worse.

Another trigger and maybe the original cause, I used to do a lot of surfing I cold water when I was young, my fingers and toes would freeze open, where I couldn’t move them, and then when I went in the shower even cold water would burn!

Wow... this forum is amazing! Years ago I had strange experiences when going snowmobiling, probably when I was in my 20s. The snowmobiles had hand grips and vibrated strongly. My hands would swell and itch to the point where I could not grip the handles to hold and I had to go inside. They were red, itched severely, and swollen. Everyone told me it was from the cold. After repeated tries riding with the same result.. I knew it was from the snowmobile but never knew why. Weed wackers, and some motorized equiptment do the same thing to me. I never associated that with EM before. Interesting thing-- the snowmobile incidents were way before I had any of the telltale EM symptoms.

I also had trouble with vibrations about 10 years before the burning feet and hands. I first noticed it in my early 20’s, then got the burning feet and hands when I was 30.

Hi Jon,

This is a huge trigger, for both my Raynaud's and EM. Shopping carts are a big offender for my arms, as are concrete/cement floors for my legs. Both will trigger attacks/flares within minutes. That said, I can no longer use a lot of tools or equipment (e.g. hammers, lawn mowers, blenders, etc) without paying for it dearly.

The health food store, but in this tile floor, so I would not use the shopping carts because of the vibration. It must trigger the nerves, when it is a certain frequency?

I also have similar problems with water, though it is less predictable. Sometime water vibrations in the bathtub will trigger bad nerve pain in my hands and feet.

I have this problems with driving or being a passenger in a vehicle. I only drive for a very short distance because of this and when I am with my husband he drives and I sit in the back of the van and put a stool in between the two front seats. I put 2 fluffy pillows on top of the stool and prop my feet up the whole time I am in the van. Also, when I do drive, I usually will prop up my left leg in the drivers seat. That seems to help some, but I can't leave it up there all of the time. I notice if I have to be in the vehicle for a long period of time, it takes me a few days to recoup from the intense pain.

I don’t know if I have EM but vibrations definitely trigger redness, itching and burning for me! I work in a lab and when using the vortex to mix tubes it makes my fingers start itching. I used to ride a moped and gripping the handlebars would cause itching. Also vibrating massage devices, I HATE them and now I think I know why, I never connected me itching and being exposed to vibrations before! I always thought my allergies were just acting up. They even make my back itch which is odd because the suspecting EM symptoms I have are only in my hands and feet. I don’t know anything that helps the itching after being exposed to vibrations :confused:

Yes, that is how I have always experienced it. I think the vibration does something with the peripheral nerves, it feels like your coming out of frost bite…

audrieann111 said:

I don’t know if I have EM but vibrations definitely trigger redness, itching and burning for me! I work in a lab and when using the vortex to mix tubes it makes my fingers start itching. I used to ride a moped and gripping the handlebars would cause itching. Also vibrating massage devices, I HATE them and now I think I know why, I never connected me itching and being exposed to vibrations before! I always thought my allergies were just acting up. They even make my back itch which is odd because the suspecting EM symptoms I have are only in my hands and feet. I don’t know anything that helps the itching after being exposed to vibrations :confused: