Anyone having to change occupation due to EM

hey guys,

I am a nurse who was responsible for working 12 hours shifts. As of last week I am unable to work those long hours standing on my feet. Several months back, my Neurologist who knows about this disease and is my provider for this disease had informed me that sooner or later I was going to start having problems with my feet. Although I was having problems then, I was having to see her for more frequient appointments and increasing my medications. She adivised that I start looking for another occupation that did not require me to be on my feet for long periods. Last week, she had to finally officiially give me a letter for work restrictions to give to my employer. Now my employer has placed me on a 8 hour workday instead of 12 hour shifts but I don't know for how long they will accomadate that. I the meantime, I will continue to search for another position or transfer.

Please share your stories regarding your activities of daily living and occupations and if anyone had to file for disability or partial disability.

Char

Char

I havn't had to yet I work the 10 hr shift.I work in manufacturing medical supplies.I make a Embolization product called PVA and it's a very physical job.And I and both up and down.I have a really great supervisor and she understands some things are getting harder to do.I try not to say I can't do anything because I don't want to have restrictions but I figure it will happen sooner or later,I do have handicap parking.But things are getting harder to do I just won't admit it to my self.Take care...

Cheryl

Cheryl,

I know what you mean by not trying too say things are getting harder. In fact, my neurologist told me that I am needing to change jobs 6 months ago so I was trying to find one on my own. I am a goverment employee and was trying to find a 8 hour civil service position but had no luck as of yet. Just recently, I got really sick with my feet after a 13 hour shift and had to take my shoes off just to walk to the parking lot. When I went in to see her, she then wrote my note.

There are the pros and cons to having a medical restriction from a physician, the pros is that if my current position can go to 8 hour shift and the manager( Head Nurse) agree to it, they will work me for 8 hours a day which is what I am doing now. the Cons is that if they are unable to accomadate me, they will inform civilian personal and they will find me another position. In the meantime, I will continue what I am doing and look for another position myself such as desk work. I am still nursing and on my feet at least 80% of the 8 hour shift. I was hoping that they would have done this so I can get placed in another position and get off my feet. civilian personal can find me a job faster than I can. I may go and talk with them anyway and give them my note. I work for the Army so they are working with me and everyone I work with too knows my illness and always there to lend a hand. Many Blessings to you...

Char