Beta blockers

Has anyone had any treatment success with propranolol?

Thanks!!

I've not tried it.

Hello snowshoe,
I think this is not relevant to you as I seem to remember that you don’t have Raynauds. Am I right? I haven’t taken propranolol but was prescribed another betablocker, bisoprolol, for atrial fibrillation. I have Raynauds and the bisoprolol made it a hundred times worse and that made EM flares worse too. I understand that all betablockers are contraindicated for people with Raynauds but have no idea how they impact on EM without Raynauds.
Sorry I can’t be more helpful.
Nel

I have tried but it didn't help in my case. Nevertheless, some found this treatment helpful...

I have been taking Metoprolol 2 times a day for an irregular heart rhythm since 2007. Within the last couple of years EM flares have progressed to every evening now and sometimes during the day. So, I guess this beta blocker is not making any differance for me. My heart is ticking along nicely. That’s a good thing.

Grama Nay Nay

Hi snowshoe03 -

I have never had this drug but have tried many others - We are Human Guinea Pigs when it comes to EM and treatment for it's symptoms - The only advice I can give is Be Very Careful of what medications you take - Always make it clear to the Doctor's that IF you have any adverse reactions OR it is making your condition worse then I would suggest that you Stop taking any more of it as you do not want to risk further damage to yourself - Seek medical advice as soon as you can - it is no good to continue with any drug that isn't making improvements for you - I have tried a few different medications and sometimes I might have a reaction to it straight away (a couple of hours) OR it might take about 2 to 3 doses (days) to make things show up.

I have stopped several medications that were 'on trial' for my EM and so glad that I did and never had any issues with the doctors saying - "Give it a chance to get into your system, it could take a week or two before you feel better" - This sort of Quackery should not be tollerated - It is NOT the Doctor who has the condition and you should know your own body - if something makes you feel terrible OR agrivates your condition then Your Body IS trying to Tell You something IS NOT right ..... It is no good continuing a drug just because the doctor told you to - Your Body IS the Best one to listen to ....

Basically Be Extremely Careful with any NEW Medication/s PLEASE ....

Cheers & Take Care -

frostbite (Greg)

COOMA NSW

Hello Snowshoe03
I experimenting with a low dose of propranadol years ago. I increased the dose with my doctors agreement and had a heart attack resulting in open heart surgery. There was some talk that I was allergic to propranadol so have not tried since.

Hi there
I have tried this drug made me worse my whole body burned it was bad it is a vasodilator

Hi, Propranolol works well for me in the summer. I've been on it since about 2009. I was actually prescribed propranolol by a cardiologist for autonomic dysfunction /POTS but it's ended up being most helpful for my EM. However, like other people have said, in the winter, the propranolol worsens my raynaulds so I can't usually take it.

I guess everyone with EM is different but for me, the worst trigger is a large change in temperature (going from cold to warm). This might have something to do with raynaulds. (It can be hard for me to distinguish between the two sometimes.) My EM is least painful in the summer when I'm always Consistently warm. But it can get excruciating in the winter if I warm up too quickly. What helps me is quickly getting extremely bundled up in lots of warm layers right before I step outside in the winter and then taking them off as fast as I can as soon as I get to work. If I don't get the layers off quickly enough when I step inside, I will get too warm and the EM will flare terribly. I feel like my hands and face are hypersensitive to the smallest change in temperature.

Hi
It must be really hard to have both sorry yes we are all different and what works one will not work for others tegratol is something that may work it is nerve pain take care

hopingforhealth said:

Hi, Propranolol works well for me in the summer. I’ve been on it since about 2009. I was actually prescribed propranolol by a cardiologist for autonomic dysfunction /POTS but it’s ended up being most helpful for my EM. However, like other people have said, in the winter, the propranolol worsens my raynaulds so I can’t usually take it.

I guess everyone with EM is different but for me, the worst trigger is a large change in temperature (going from cold to warm). This might have something to do with raynaulds. (It can be hard for me to distinguish between the two sometimes.) My EM is least painful in the summer when I’m always Consistently warm. But it can get excruciating in the winter if I warm up too quickly. What helps me is quickly getting extremely bundled up in lots of warm layers right before I step outside in the winter and then taking them off as fast as I can as soon as I get to work. If I don’t get the layers off quickly enough when I step inside, I will get too warm and the EM will flare terribly. I feel like my hands and face are hypersensitive to the smallest change in temperature.

1 Like

Whoops meant to,say it is for nerve pain

Exactly the same for me. Now that we are having sudden cold spells and cold nights I am finding it really hard to deal with. Roll on next Summer.

Flame said:

Hi
It must be really hard to have both sorry yes we are all different and what works one will not work for others tegratol is something that may work it is nerve pain take care

hopingforhealth said:

Hi, Propranolol works well for me in the summer. I’ve been on it since about 2009. I was actually prescribed propranolol by a cardiologist for autonomic dysfunction /POTS but it’s ended up being most helpful for my EM. However, like other people have said, in the winter, the propranolol worsens my raynaulds so I can’t usually take it.

I guess everyone with EM is different but for me, the worst trigger is a large change in temperature (going from cold to warm). This might have something to do with raynaulds. (It can be hard for me to distinguish between the two sometimes.) My EM is least painful in the summer when I’m always Consistently warm. But it can get excruciating in the winter if I warm up too quickly. What helps me is quickly getting extremely bundled up in lots of warm layers right before I step outside in the winter and then taking them off as fast as I can as soon as I get to work. If I don’t get the layers off quickly enough when I step inside, I will get too warm and the EM will flare terribly. I feel like my hands and face are hypersensitive to the smallest change in temperature.

1 Like