Driving Issues

A new issue is arising for me, and I wanted to know if anyone else has this problem! Driving more than 15 minutes is causing my right foot to flare so badly. Along with severe pain also comes a very intense “pins and needles” feeling. As this happens, my right hand also flares with pins and needles (not as bad as feet though)! Anyone else struggle with this?!?

Yes, and my right knee hurts, too. I’ve gotten good at using cruise control to relieve pressure.

I have neurological damage in the same foot I have the EM problems. I have foot drop and can’t move the toes on that foot anymore either. so I was faced with hanging up my car keys or learning to drive with my left foot. I’m very comfortable with driving with my left foot now, it took some getting used to but it can be done. Good luck.

Yes I to have issues with driving in right foot and also hands. I try using cruise control as much as possible. do not have any other suggestions

Dale

i sometimetimes have that with my left leg and lose feeling in it especially if i'm driving long distance once again that foot had a serious ankle break and em is worst in thast foot

I am lucky that my right foot is better then left. Quite often I have to remove my sock and shoe of my left foot, otherwise the burning is untolerable. Additionally I get the hot flashes from my medication Savella (next generation of Lyrica), that force me to wear very light clothing while driving.

I find that I am better driving longer distance than short city drives because my left foot is the worst so using the clutch lots in a city flares it whereas longer distance I hardly have to use it. I do however drive barefoot most of the time which also stops too many flares.

Hi Maggie, I've just been looking up Savella. Are you prescribed that for Fibromyalgia or for EM as the Savella website only mentioned Fibro, I am curious to know if it's something they do use or might use for EM in the future.

Maggie said:

I am lucky that my right foot is better then left. Quite often I have to remove my sock and shoe of my left foot, otherwise the burning is untolerable. Additionally I get the hot flashes from my medication Savella (next generation of Lyrica), that force me to wear very light clothing while driving.

It may be the aircon. I experience the same and turn the aircon down. Lyn Cape Town

Both feet because of the clutch for me too. Even if I had a standard, the right foot pain starts within minutes after getting in the car. The bottoms of the feet from touching the pedals, and just sitting upright for too long is too much for me. I drive once a week for groceries and such now, and I plan to stop driving this year. It's time to find out who my friends are lol

yes my feet hurt while driving I have found if I turn the fan on my feet on cool or aircondtioning it helps some I also drive bare foot

Dale

Interesting. I have noticed my feet starting to get uncomfortable at a certain point on my drive home from work each night. Mostly, however, it's my hands that are uncomfortable. They feel chapped and raw so I don't like gripping the steering wheel. I've been wearing some thin gloves that seem to help.

KC

Savella was prescribed by rheumatologist who claims that Fibromyalgia is the same as EM. How much do they know. I have some fibro and Savella is helping but now with my feet.

lauraflora1 said:

Hi Maggie, I've just been looking up Savella. Are you prescribed that for Fibromyalgia or for EM as the Savella website only mentioned Fibro, I am curious to know if it's something they do use or might use for EM in the future.

Maggie said:

I have stopped driving. I can only sit up with my feet touching the floor for about 10 minutes before they start to flare. The burning, swelling, intense and stabbing pain hits and I am so afraid I will be distracted and cause an accident. I have also noticed when I use the steering wheel (especially if it is hot) it cause my finger/fingertips to burn and tingle. So unless It is within 10 minutes of my house I refuse to take the chance.

Tollie

If I am in the car ny right foot starts to burn and flare. I have raynouds as welland it is being set off at temp of 70 or so…unreal so the car a/c will make ny hands cold…and numb…if the sun shines into the windshield they flare. Holding the steering wheel my hands go numb. I am constantly raising my hands over my head when driving, embarrassing my kids!

I let my license expire, I could not make it to the closest store. I'm green now, but for the wrong reason.