Foot Surgery and EM

Has anyone had foot surgery and needed to have bandages, cast and boot for 6-10 weeks following surgery and how have they managed the EM in that foot. I am delaying surgery on a painful and very arthritic degenerative joint (fusion + plate/screws) because having had this on other foot I know how long the foot is in bandages etc. Now that the EM is constant but not as severe as many who write in, I am very hesitant to proceed. Any input from others with this situation?

I am no expert but have been hanging around hospitals a good bit lately, fracture clinic and physio. The latest boots and odd looking leg supports which appear to be taking the place of a cast make me wonder whether if you talk to the doctor you may find that this time round you can get away without the cast and the boot can be much more open than in the past. My daughter’s recent operations in her arthritic toe joints have needed much less heavy bandaging than I was expecting considering what she was having done.
Good luck with the decision but as Tizzy said, swelling is a part of EM and they need to be asked to make allowances for it as well as for the heat.

Thanks to everyone who has posted to this discussion. I think the comment that the EM may decrease when the joint gets better because the OA is under better control is very possible. Right now the joint is bone on bone and I have OA and EM pain in that foot. I am just reluctant to have the bandaging on that foot as even wearing socks is very uncomfortable. I did have the big rigid ski boot with foam/neoprene insert that I used so I can take it off - but still had some bandages under that. I will try for minimum. Surgery is day surgery so no hospital care possible. Seattle girly

Seattlegirl said:

Thanks to everyone who has posted to this discussion. I think the comment that the EM may decrease when the joint gets better because the OA is under better control is very possible. Right now the joint is bone on bone and I have OA and EM pain in that foot. I am just reluctant to have the bandaging on that foot as even wearing socks is very uncomfortable. I did have the big rigid ski boot with foam/neoprene insert that I used so I can take it off - but still had some bandages under that. I will try for minimum. Surgery is day surgery so no hospital care possible. Seattle girly

Seattlegirl said:

Seattlegirl said:

Thanks to everyone who has posted to this discussion. I think the comment that the EM may decrease when the joint gets better because the OA is under better control is very possible. Right now the joint is bone on bone and I have OA and EM pain in that foot. I am just reluctant to have the bandaging on that foot as even wearing socks is very uncomfortable. I did have the big rigid ski boot with foam/neoprene insert that I used so I can take it off - but still had some bandages under that. I will try for minimum. Surgery is day surgery so no hospital care possible. Seattle girl

Hi Seattlegirl,

I am just wondering if you have decided to have your surgery? I had a botched foot surgery (Seattle podiatrist) almost 6 years ago, and it seems that's when my EM started (assuming that is what I have -- I have not been diagnosed). I have chronic problems with my foot -- EM on both feet, but most painful in the "bad" foot, since, I believe, the swelling is squeezing and putting pressure on the tender area. I have Avascular Necrosis in the 1st MTP joint (dead bone). I may need to have a fusion of that joint. I worry about the ability of it to heal properly, if my foot is flaring, and also when my foot is cold, since I have a history of Raynaud's in my fingers, and my feet are also usually very cold during the day, flaring mostly in the evening, but also during the day, if the conditions are right: warm socks, standing in line, etc.

I was wondering if you have a doctor in Seattle that diagnosed you? I live in Bremerton, but I commute to Seattle daily, and that is where I go for my medical care.

Thank you for your time!

Barbara

Seattle doc is at Univ WA Center for Pain Relief - You can call there 206-598-4282 to get appointment. They are top notch for all aspects of chronic pain conditions. Just remember that when you go there and see people that are in worse shape that you are receiving help for your pain and you deserve the help. No one should live with chronic pain and the way the pain severely affects your life. Raynaud's is sometimes called the flip side of EM. Both are neurovascular conditions - one with vascular dilation and one with vascular constriction and both with nerves severely inflamed and painful. I have not decided on the surgery yet but am probably moving towards it done while the weather is cool. I had right 1st toe fused in 2009 with good results for pain relief, but did not have constant EM at that time. I have confidence in my foot/ankle surgeon in Centralia and will go to him again. Check out the UW MDs. Best wishes. SG

barb-in-bremerton said:

Hi Seattlegirl,

I am just wondering if you have decided to have your surgery? I had a botched foot surgery (Seattle podiatrist) almost 6 years ago, and it seems that's when my EM started (assuming that is what I have -- I have not been diagnosed). I have chronic problems with my foot -- EM on both feet, but most painful in the "bad" foot, since, I believe, the swelling is squeezing and putting pressure on the tender area. I have Avascular Necrosis in the 1st MTP joint (dead bone). I may need to have a fusion of that joint. I worry about the ability of it to heal properly, if my foot is flaring, and also when my foot is cold, since I have a history of Raynaud's in my fingers, and my feet are also usually very cold during the day, flaring mostly in the evening, but also during the day, if the conditions are right: warm socks, standing in line, etc.

I was wondering if you have a doctor in Seattle that diagnosed you? I live in Bremerton, but I commute to Seattle daily, and that is where I go for my medical care.

Thank you for your time!

Barbara

Thank you for the reply! Is there a particular doctor at UW that is knowledgeable about these disorders? I'm glad to hear your fusion was a success. Did you have to have a bone graft with it?

Seattlegirl said:

Seattle doc is at Univ WA Center for Pain Relief - You can call there 206-598-4282 to get appointment. They are top notch for all aspects of chronic pain conditions. Just remember that when you go there and see people that are in worse shape that you are receiving help for your pain and you deserve the help. No one should live with chronic pain and the way the pain severely affects your life. Raynaud's is sometimes called the flip side of EM. Both are neurovascular conditions - one with vascular dilation and one with vascular constriction and both with nerves severely inflamed and painful. I have not decided on the surgery yet but am probably moving towards it done while the weather is cool. I had right 1st toe fused in 2009 with good results for pain relief, but did not have constant EM at that time. I have confidence in my foot/ankle surgeon in Centralia and will go to him again. Check out the UW MDs. Best wishes. SG

barb-in-bremerton said:

Hi Seattlegirl,

Thank you for your time!

Barbara

The docs at the University of Washington Center for Pain Relief will know about EM. If you decide to get an appointment there ask for a doc who has worked with people with EM, not just knows about EM, there is a difference of course. Most MDs have seen a few since it is rare but since this clinic serves people with chronic pain they have more likely seen ones with EM as well as other conditions. Few of us have single diagnoses. I am not comfortable giving my MDs name on this site without his permission, sorry. SG

Seattlegirl said:

barb-in-bremerton said:

Hi Seattlegirl,

Thank you for your time!

Barbara