Potential Complications with Ankle Surgery?

Hello Everyone, in conjunction with EM, I've had a stubborn ankle injury from basketball a few years back that doesn't want to heal. Since the ankle is still achy most days my foot doctor suggested we might consider surgery if it doesn't improve with a walking boot. I believe the survey would involve shortening one of the ligaments in the foot.

That said, my doctor was concerned due to potential EM complications, so I wanted to post to get feedback on how EM generally responds to surgery. thanks!

I haven’t had surgery since I have had EM but I have heard many people reporting that wounds and breaks take for ever to heal. I broke a toe about six months ago and began to think it would never heal. It has now, just about, but when my feet flare that one toe goes a dark grey purple colour. It looks like gangrene but when my feet are not flaring it is an acceptable shade of pink so I guess is nothing to worry about…

I hope someone who has had actual surgery on a foot can come up with more relevant information.

Hi scanfield1. I like Nel haven’t had a surgery since my EM but I too broke a toe last year and it was black for months!during flares it also has a darker purple look to it.when I asked my doctor why it was taking so long to heal he said it was due to my autoimmune meds but maybe it was a little of both. I too hope you find someone with more relevant information:) take care
Alina.

Hi, I haven't had surgery but have broken bones in my feet (3 times) the first time I contracted RSD and it took a year of being on crutches before I was able to actually put any weight on it because the pain was horrific. I had to have intensive physio and the Dr told me I had to work through the pain because with RSD if you don't use it you lose it permanently.

I also had a lot of trouble after having my wisdom teeth out. No idea if this had anything to do with all the other things oging on in my body but I got every possible side effect. I had no feeling in my lower lip or chin for about 8 months due to nerve damage, I was unable to open my jaw and only had a 2mm gap between teeth so was on a liquid diet for 3 months. severe infection/abscess that left me slipping in and out of consciousness on day 5 and hospitalized on IV antibiotics. I was on antibiotics for a total of 4 weeks.

I have no idea if ANY of this relates to EM or healing but just letting you know my experience with healing. i hope that the boot works so you don't need surgery.

Laura

Hello

I am Lyn living in Cape Town. I broke my ankle really badly 5 years ago. I had a plate and seven pins inserted. I am now 66 years old and have had EM since 1998. I had a great deal of numbness and pain on the surface of my foot where perhaps nerves were severed. It took a long time for healing to take place - may be a whole year before I felt back to normal. Looking back I would say that I could have eaten more protein and fresh fruits. I was concerned about putting on weight whilst I was not active but that was really stupid. Now I can run and jump and do not have a limp. Because I did not want to end up with a limp I worked really hard at the exercises. My physiotherapist was really impressed. I do have extra EM in that foot now especially in the winter but I just ignore it. When I found out what was wrong with me in 1998 I decided to ignore it and get on with my life. Difficult - I know but the best way forward. Please everybody breath more deeply as in that way more oxygen flows around the bloodstream and really helps.

Has anyone else noticed how deep breathing helps? Lyn

Greetings scanfield1:

I have had numerous surgeries since being diagnosed with EM in 2008 (symptoms since 1999). Never did I have complications during or after surgery or trouble with anesthesia. One surgery was on my leg where my EM symptoms live. Others were on my back and shoulder. There was a benefit. While under the anesthesia during surgery and in the recovery room I didn’t feel any of the nasty burning, throbbing pain. Too bad I wasn’t awake to enjoy the respite.

Really glad you didn't have any adverse effects from the surgery.

R. Mike said:

Greetings scanfield1:

I have had numerous surgeries since being diagnosed with EM in 2008 (symptoms since 1999). Never did I have complications during or after surgery or trouble with anesthesia. One surgery was on my leg where my EM symptoms live. Others were on my back and shoulder. There was a benefit. While under the anesthesia during surgery and in the recovery room I didn’t feel any of the nasty burning, throbbing pain. Too bad I wasn’t awake to enjoy the respite.

That’s really encouraging R. Mike. How different we all are.

R. Mike said:

Greetings scanfield1:

Lyn, I haven’t heard that deep breathing might help but I’ll try anything, especially if it’s free!

lyn said:

Hello

I am Lyn living in Cape Town. I broke my ankle really badly 5 years ago. I had a plate and seven pins inserted. I am now 66 years old and have had EM since 1998. I had a great deal of numbness and pain on the surface of my foot where perhaps nerves were severed. It took a long time for healing to take place - may be a whole year before I felt back to normal. Looking back I would say that I could have eaten more protein and fresh fruits. I was concerned about putting on weight whilst I was not active but that was really stupid. Now I can run and jump and do not have a limp. Because I did not want to end up with a limp I worked really hard at the exercises. My physiotherapist was really impressed. I do have extra EM in that foot now especially in the winter but I just ignore it. When I found out what was wrong with me in 1998 I decided to ignore it and get on with my life. Difficult - I know but the best way forward. Please everybody breath more deeply as in that way more oxygen flows around the bloodstream and really helps.

Nel said:

Lyn, I haven't heard that deep breathing might help but I'll try anything, especially if it's free!

lyn said:

Hello

My husband's EM seems to have been triggered by a hip replacement surgery in 1997. He was putting the operation off for years but as he was unable to walk anymore he decided to have it done. His EM started slowly with gradual worsening of symptoms and he has been house bound since 2011. He is 65.