Low blood pressure

I am wondering if there is a correlation between EM and low/low normal blood pressure. My blood pressure runs around 80/60 and I am interesting in learning if others with EM have similar findings.

My blood pressure ran normal to a bit high before EM. Now one of the EM drugs I am on is Metooprolol. That lowers blood pressure and now my blood pressure is normal/normal. Also think some of the supplements I take also lowers blood pressure. Believe the Alpha-Lipoic and others like that may lower the blood pressure a bit. Thank you for asking questions like this that brings out possibilities.

I also run a low blood pressure and will be following this thread. (I'm not on any medications that should lower it.)

I have a suspected EM/diagnosed Raynaud's combo and have always had lowish blood pressure (except when on certain hormonal contraceptives). My mother has suspected EM and by older brother has diagnosed Raynaud's - mother has always had low blood pressure but brother's is normal. None of us are on medications.

Oh my goddness !!! I have very low blood pressure too. And, have had low blood pressure for 10plus years ~~~ Something to ponder.... : ) Wow- I love the brainstorming by all of us- brings me an extra helping of hope.

Yes, I also have low blood pressure . Sometimes it gets so low I feel unwell.

I also have low blood pressure too.And when they diagnosed the Raynauds they put me on Nifedipine I was afraid it would bottom mine out.I'm on extended release and havn't had any problems with it.

Is you pressure consistently low or do you have POTS? I've heard of others with EM who have POTS and the blood pooling in the feet can trigger their EM.

Blood pools in my feet and triggers the EM at times, but I haven't been able to find an electrocardiologist with a tilt table to evaluate me for POTS where I live. When the blood pools, the color is a darker, purplish red. When just having pure EM, the color is a brighter, clearer red. My pressure when checked at the doctor's, sitting, only runs slightly low, but ran very low when I was in my teens and early twenties. Had a lot of dizzy spells because of it.

Everyone else in my family all have high blood pressure.My mom dad and brother all have high I am the only one who has low and the only one with EM!!

My blood pressure is also on the low side. I do not take any medication.

I have POTS and EM but my BP is normal to high. I was always told EM is associated with high blood pressure, not low.

Nope! Mine is high even with the BP med.

In my family the low BP may turn to high BP in middle age. Hasn't happened to me yet though. I think with EM the pressure my be low or high (or maybe even completely normal), depending on what the underlying disorder is causing the EM in those with the Secondary Type, which is most of us.

This is interesting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8740329 Abstract

NORD's EM description includes info on peripheral neuropathy, which they include as a suggestion for a differential diagnosis. However, research suggests that most people with EM have peripheral neuropathy. " Involvement of autonomic nerves may lead to various symptoms and findings, such as HIGH OR LOW blood pressure, impaired sweating, inability to control urination or defecation (incontinence), impotence, and/or other abnormalities. "

I'm not sure NORD puts all the EM details on their website anymore, but you can read it here:http://www.kumed.com/healthwise/healthwise.aspx?DOCHWID=nord245

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14568838 Abstract regarding neuropathies with EM

Hello crazygrandma

I noticed that you mentioned Nifedipine in your reply to the low blood pressure discussion. It jogged my memory about a letter I received a few weeks ago concerning my own EM diagnosis.

Last month I did a blog about my Rheumatologist visit where I was given the diagnosis of EM (primary). A letter to my GP, concerning my consulation and copied to me, discussed my current medications and the rheumatologist remarked that I "had never had Nifedipine or any other cuprit medications."

Did you have Raynauds (and the Nifedipine treatment) before you got the EM? It just made me wonder after having read the above remark. The rheumatologist must have thought there could have been a correlation between my EM and Nifedipine if I had ever been prescribed the medication for another problem which would have meant my EM was secondary.

I know that Nifedipine is sometimes used for Raynauds but it is also given to reduce high blood pressure and you say yours was low before the Reynauds diagnosis.

My own blood pressure is on the low/normal side and apart from occasional postural hyptension which is par for the course at my age has never been a cause for concern.

It just got me thinking.

Tillyp

crazygrandma said:

I also have low blood pressure too.And when they diagnosed the Raynauds they put me on Nifedipine I was afraid it would bottom mine out.I'm on extended release and havn't had any problems with it.

Hello Tillyp

Yes I was diagnosed with the Raynauds several years before my EM diagnosis.And my Rheumatoligist put me on the Nifedipine and I have to take it year round.She thought I might be able to go off it in the summer but when we tried it every other day the Raynauds flared up full force again.My EM came on after I had surgery.I'm still having flares with it because so far were having a very mild winter.The time release has worked great for me because I get it gradually instead of all at once.I go back in March and have alot of questions on the primary and secondary.

I hope this helps.

Cheryl

tillyp said:

Hello crazygrandma

I noticed that you mentioned Nifedipine in your reply to the low blood pressure discussion. It jogged my memory about a letter I received a few weeks ago concerning my own EM diagnosis.

Last month I did a blog about my Rheumatologist visit where I was given the diagnosis of EM (primary). A letter to my GP, concerning my consulation and copied to me, discussed my current medications and the rheumatologist remarked that I "had never had Nifedipine or any other cuprit medications."

Did you have Raynauds (and the Nifedipine treatment) before you got the EM? It just made me wonder after having read the above remark. The rheumatologist must have thought there could have been a correlation between my EM and Nifedipine if I had ever been prescribed the medication for another problem which would have meant my EM was secondary.

I know that Nifedipine is sometimes used for Raynauds but it is also given to reduce high blood pressure and you say yours was low before the Reynauds diagnosis.

My own blood pressure is on the low/normal side and apart from occasional postural hyptension which is par for the course at my age has never been a cause for concern.

It just got me thinking.

Tillyp

crazygrandma said:

Thank you all for sharing! It looks like, perhaps, blood pressure is a mixed bag. But, I think I'd need to post a survey and look at stats for the general population as well to rule out the link.

I'm grateful for the links that were posted, and for the input regarding POTS. I'd never heard of POTS before, but my heart does race and I get shortness of breath when I bend down and when I stand still for more than a couple of minutes. It definitely feels like blood is pooling in my feet when I stand, and that will trigger the EM even when it's not hot out. Food for thought and perhaps something to ask my dr. about.

My blood pressure is always on the low side of normal though it fluctuates. It was 80/60 at my physical exam two weeks ago, but 112/78 when I went to the Red Cross to donate blood yesterday.

My bp is usually in between low and normal. I have peripheral neuropathy as well. When I was in my teens I would have dizzy spells as well.

I think that 80/60 number is dangerous if it is low like that for long periods of time. According to my neurologist, that can eventually cause kidney failure.he mentioned this when discussing family history because I have a cousin with kidney failure with an unknown cause and she has very low blood pressure. I would definitely keep a check on it.

Tullilou said:

Thank you all for sharing! It looks like, perhaps, blood pressure is a mixed bag. But, I think I'd need to post a survey and look at stats for the general population as well to rule out the link.

I'm grateful for the links that were posted, and for the input regarding POTS. I'd never heard of POTS before, but my heart does race and I get shortness of breath when I bend down and when I stand still for more than a couple of minutes. It definitely feels like blood is pooling in my feet when I stand, and that will trigger the EM even when it's not hot out. Food for thought and perhaps something to ask my dr. about.

My blood pressure is always on the low side of normal though it fluctuates. It was 80/60 at my physical exam two weeks ago, but 112/78 when I went to the Red Cross to donate blood yesterday.