Went to my docs yesterday, he never heard of EM

I informed my doc of my EM in a letter to give him a headsup so when I made an appointment he would have hopefully did some research. He said he never heard of it but was familiar with raynaud phenomenon which is the opposite of EM. Anyways he changed my blood pressure meds, I was on atenelol which works by "dilation of arteriole resistance vessels" so being that EM is vasodilatation he thought the atenelol may have something to do with it or if not could be making it worse. Its just a hunch plus he said this new med is better than the old one.

I am not surprised he had never heard of it. Most doctors haven't. I hope the med change helps some jimm. Good for you being pro active and sending info before hand. Did your EM start after you started taking your blood pressure meds? Did your doctor seem open to trying other methods of treatment if this doesn't work? It makes sense that the blood pressure meds could be making it worse as it is a vessel dilator . Your new meds help with blood pressure without causing dilation?

Please let us know if it helps with the med change. I don't have blood pressure problems but do you mind sharing the name of the new med if it helps for those that do?

Thank you jimm. sorry to bombard you with so many questions!

Take care,

Alina

Did your EM start after you started taking your blood pressure meds? ......................... No, its started a few years after but if you do develop EM from meds I would assume it would take a few years to develop.

Did your doctor seem open to trying other methods of treatment if this doesn't work?................ Yes, he did spend time talking to me, over a 1/2 hour which in doctors time thats like a week. I will be back to see him in a month or so.

Your new meds help with blood pressure without causing dilation? I dont know, he said this was better than atenelol - - Losartan

I haven't researched it much yet, been busy, running (walking gingerly lol) to my daughters softball game now..

Thank you jimm.

It is great to hear you have an understanding doctor who is willing to work with you and take his time.

Enjoy the game!

Many doctors automatically put people on blood pressure meds without properly explaining the alternatives. There is a LOT that can be done with diet and exercise. I would explore that to the max. Of course, everyone is different. Best of luck to you!

I need to lose weight. I lift weights at the gym but dont do enough cardio, losing weight lowers my blood pressure....... easier said than done

jimm said:

I need to lose weight. I lift weights at the gym but dont do enough cardio, losing weight lowers my blood pressure....... easier said than done

I know for some it is genetic and unavoidable but any thing you can do to help lower it naturally is always a plus!

I know with E.M exercise can be a real challenge but I see you are lifting weights so that is great!. Keep up the good work but try not to push too hard. I have put on a bit of weight myself but so far so good and my blood pressure is normally very good. I must remember though it is easier to prevent though in the first place if I can.

Please keep us updated jimm as to if your med switch is helpful in your EM symptoms.

Thank you. I hope you are doing ok after your gingerly walk to your daughters game!

Take care,

Alina