MEXILETINE - Oral analog of lidocaine/lignocaine

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to add this into drugs discussion.

I am now on a trial of MEXILETINE - the oral analog of lidocaine( IV infusions), which gave me modest relief for 10 days.

Interested to know if you have tried or are trying this drug. I know i keep saying it in previous posts, but i believe sodium channel blockers may be the way forward for some of us until the TEVA/XENON drug is fully developed ,available ,and granted European FDA approval.

God bless

mads

http://www.xenon-pharma.com/2013/04/xen402-orphan/

Teva and Xenon Announce FDA Orphan Drug Designation for Pain Drug XEN402

Jerusalem, Israel, and Burnaby, British Columbia, (April 23, 2013) – Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NYSE: TEVA) and Xenon Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Xenon) announced today that the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted orphan-drug designation to the investigational drug XEN402 being developed for the treatment of pain associated with erythromelalgia (EM).

hi Mads,

As you already know from our discussions I take 100 mg of mexiletine a day and after a couple have weeks can say it has helped. I have had a lot less flares which has been nice and that darned ache in my ankles has also eased. I hope it keeps working because my next lidocaine treatment is not till Dec. 3rd.

God bless,

Kathy

Any side effects?

Hi there,

I do get a little heartburn but if I take it with a supper meal I am fine. It is working so well for me at the moment I don't need my cane at all and I can wear my running shoes.

Hi there . Yes i get heartburn like catlady but if you take with good food intake and add an anti acid it helps.

I take 200 mg now and get nasty palpitations, chest pains and BP/pulse sky high. These side effects should get easier as meds assimilated into body. So far i have had no relief in any symptoms but as i responded well to lidocaine i am hopeful. I think its just getting the dosage right which can take time as has to be tritated up. Only been trialing for 2 weeks.

Hi. Please continue to post as you are on the meds longer. I was prescribed this by my pain doctor but my primary care told me not to take it because I was having some heart issues worked up. Later found out all is well but I haven’t asked about trying it again. If it really helps I would love to know. Thank you
Alina

Hello,

I just found this discussion and was wondering you have any follow up advice or just how this is going for you or went for you? My Dr just prescribed this and I wanted to get your thoughts on what you had experienced before I started to take the meds.

Thanks so much,

Lacey