Rosecea or EM?

So a month ago my Dr told me I have Rosecea. Prior to getting this Dx my face was often very red…to the point my husband was constantly asking if I was “ok”. Sometimes my face just burns…and seems like you can feel the heat roll off of it. My ears are also effected. I get small breakouts though which makes me think it is Rosecea…but not know enough about EM I thought I would ask.

Thank you Tizzy I did go and see the picture. I will try to take one of my face to compare. I know that my face gets very red and hot, including my ears. Personally I’m beginning to think I have both Rosecea and EM flares… The heat flares the Rosecea. I only know a few triggers so far…heat…and alcohol. Both triggers flare EM as well as Rosecea. I don’t like the taste if alcohol so I’m not upset about losing that trigger at all…but need to control the heat as much as I can.

Thanks again

Hi there. I get hot feet and hands, and I have raynauds and rocasea and chilblains. I’m very sensitive to all temperature changes! Rocasea can cause a hot flushing. The way I differentiate is that the hot feet and hands ebb and flow for me (I understand this is not the case for everyone). The rocasea is always there. I get the pimples with it and redness. I also have it in my eyes, so I have blepheritis and some gritty feelings (not bad though). Sometimes with the rocasea I will flush more and feel like I have a really hot face. But some type of redness has been there 24/7 since I started with the issue three years ago.

Does Rosecea ever clear on its own? Right now my face looks perfect with no pimples or redness. My feet on the other hand are red and swollen. It got to 90 here today. We do not have central air. So it got toasty in our house today! We have 4 portable AC units so I stayed in a room with one all day. Now my feet are super hot and red.

I don't have Rosecea so all of my knowledge comes from reading about it not first hand. To my understanding Rosecea usually has raised skin or pimple like sores along with the redness. I would say the best way to tell is if it responds the same way your other EM does but then again Rosecea seems to have the same triggers and it is possible to have both.

I know my face doesn't fare every time my hands or feet do and sometimes it is only my face that flares. You said your face looks perfect now with no pimples or redness. When you get the redness do you also normally get the pimples with it?

Your dermatologist may be able to help you tell the difference then again if they are unfamiliar with EM they may just assume it is Rosecea by mistake as my dermatologist misdiagnosed me at first. I suppose if you go and they think it is Rosecea you can try the treatment and if it works it is and if it doesn't work there is your answer! it is probably EM!

Take care,

Alina