Sharp stabbing pains!

The past few months I have been experiencing extremely sharp "sewing" needle like pricking pains in my feet/hands (not the usual pins and needles I have constantly anyway).... They are quite random, more sharp and defined and occur any time day/night there is no rhyme or reason I am aware of .... Initially my husband and I joked about someone having a voodoo doll and every time there after jokingly called it the voodoo syndrome lol ..... Recently though it has become even more vicious and painful .... Its hard to explain as though the needle is more of a long "hat pin" and able to go deeper into the flesh , enough to make me yelp and grab my foot which makes me yelp more as my feet are so tender to the touch anyway ! ..... Just wondered if anyone else had ever come across this ?

i have this problem as well, sometimes i think that it is the veins that do that, when they flare even just a little they do it so fast that it cases the pain. this is just my theory though.

It definitely makes sense ! .... Thanks for replying! .... It can drive you crazy on your own trying to piece this jig saw, they call EM together ! .... This web site has been a God send .... I know I'm not out here on my own ..... Still trying to come to terms with it all really .... Would love to know how fast this disease progresses but I think it's on an individual basis we all react differently .... Are on different medication .... What suits one doesnt suit another .... Trial and error I suppose ... Take care and thank you for replying it means a lot xxxx

MsLovelyNikki said:

i have this problem as well, sometimes i think that it is the veins that do that, when they flare even just a little they do it so fast that it cases the pain. this is just my theory though.

That sounds very much like something that i experience every day for the last few years. It started out where it would just be one spot randomly and i'd have the same reaction you explain.. a yelp and a grab and a yelp.. over the years for me it got worse, they are now boiling hot white poker needles and i get sometimes 20 or 30 at a time during a flareup. Sometimes i'm able to smack the area REALLY hard and it will make it go away, most of the time I just stare at the spot knowing i can't handle smacking it, or itching there because that would hurt too much.. so i just stare at it and try to show my brain that there isn't anything there to hurt.. yea, you guessed it, that doesn't actually help the pain, but it occupies my mind while the pain goes through its motions. I was just about to ask if anyone else experienced this when i ran into your post! =] thanks for sharing, wish i had a fix for you =[

Hi Jeramie .... Thanks for the reply ... Pleased I am not imagining these stabbing pains, dismayed they could possibly get worse ! .... My heart goes out to you ! ... I wish I had a fix for you ! ..... Reading through all the info on here about EM has really worried me to be truthful .... It's appalling what some people are struggling to cope with .... There are so many permutations to this dreadful disease It seems to change/evolve with so many different components ..... Medication appears to be hit and miss .... What works for one will not for another ..... There is no set pattern you can pin down and the majority of the medical profession are like chickens with no heads ! ..... The pharmaceutical companies do not appear to be interested in any kind of research as there is no profit to be made as it's such a rare illness ..... I have come to the conclusion it's wise to take each day as it comes .... It scares me at the moment to try to make plans for the future because I just cannot imagine what kind of future is now in store ..... Take care and keep you chin up xxx