Veins bulging without flare-ups?

Hi all. I have suspected EM/Raynaud's in my toes. For the last month, the veins in my hands/wrists (also feet, but most noticeably hands) have been looking very large - bulging under my skin and becoming uncomfortable. The discomfort ranges from a slight tight or stiff feeling to mild pain. The veins lay down when I raise my hands but come back up immediately when I lower them.

I also am seeing all of my close-to-the surface veins more than normal - arms, legs, neck... they are not bulging above the skin, but the blue is VERY visible.

I'm so confused about all this and my doctors don't have a clue. I am in my twenties and this happened very suddenly, so I don't think it's an aging thing! Have any of you experienced this with EM or RSD/CRPS or anything else? Thanks!

483-hand.JPG (71.2 KB)

My onset was quick and I am in my twenties too. I had a sinus infection and my EM started after taking a fluoroquinolone antibiotic. I took Avelox but Cipro, levaquin and folding are other FQ drugs. These drugs can cause peripheral neuropathy and in. My case the PN has developed into EM. -- My veins bulged like yours when I was first diagnosed.

I HAVE THIS EVERY DAY...Especially in MY LEGS when the weather is very HUMID...It HURTS even during the night

MY HANDS AND FEET are SWOLLEN ALL THE TIME But WORSE when it gets HOT...

I TAKE ASPIRIN EVERY DAY AND I TRY TO REST in the AFTERNOON...

HORRIBLE

GOOD LUCK AND LOVE FROM JAN PETER IN BELGIUM

my feet are always purple red...veins are very prominent, feet, hands, ams legs, and even in my face...have you been diagnosed with EM? if not post what area you live, that is how I found the doctor I am seeing now...am on an epilepsy drug, supposed to help open veins up for better circulation, don't find it is helping..will try something else ...magnesium seems to be something many are on. Waiting for all my tests results, takes about 5 weeks for everything to come back..going back in july...

Libby K. I have not experienced this and I have EM and CRPS. Veins usually dilate when the body is getting too warm. In CRPS blood vessels constrict and in EM it is the arterioles that dilate.

Judy S

mine don't bulge but they are very visible to the eye and feet are never normal looking..from red to purple depending how long I have been on them and of course the weather.

I have experienced this with BOTH my EM and RSD. My whole leg was completely purple/grey all of the time with the RSD and I was in a horrific amount of pain, far higher than I should've had for a broken bone. The swelling with the EM however comes with OR without the flares. It doesn't cause me too much pain (compared to my flares) but is not great to look at and is slightly uncomfortable.

Thank you all for your replies. This is valuable information in working toward a diagnosis since I have not found any mention of swollen/engorged veins when studying up on these conditions - I will tell my doctor about this. Thanks again!

joyfuljenn, you say that in past tense - did yours stop bulging after a while? Mine have been like this for a month now and they're driving me crazy! I'm starting to think that this is the end of my days making pottery and painting if my hands don't go back to normal.

joyfuljenn said:

My onset was quick and I am in my twenties too. I had a sinus infection and my EM started after taking a fluoroquinolone antibiotic. I took Avelox but Cipro, levaquin and folding are other FQ drugs. These drugs can cause peripheral neuropathy and in. My case the PN has developed into EM. -- My veins bulged like yours when I was first diagnosed.

MY LEGS ARE KILLING ME NOW...IT IS VERY HUMID BUT WARM SO I WEAR SPECIAL SOCKS AND LONG UNDERWEAR TO PROTECT MY LEGS...AND I SIT IN MY RELAX CHAIR...

I HATE IT SO MUCH I RATHER GO BACK TO WORK

LOVE

JAN

Libby - mine bulged badly when all of this first began for me. I do still get bulging veins however the pain is less and it only happens after exercise or bad flares. Did you by any chance take one of those antibiotics before all of this began?

OH NO DEAR JOY I HAVE THIS FOR ALMOST 30 YEARS NOW...I even HAD VEIN SURGERY The only thing I can do now is REST...And stay inside when it gets SO HUMID

LOVE FROM JAN

Jenn, I definitely didn't take one in the last few months (veins have been bulging for about a month now) but I have had the suspected EM (flares of red, painful, swollen toes) on and off since the end of 2010. I honestly can't recall if I had to take one for anything back then. I will look in my records but I doubt I'd have a record of that anyway.

joyfuljenn said:

Libby - mine bulged badly when all of this first began for me. I do still get bulging veins however the pain is less and it only happens after exercise or bad flares. Did you by any chance take one of those antibiotics before all of this began?

I have EM in my feet, hands, ears and face since 1999. I am 52 years old and don't experience vein bulging. My feet and hands swell quite a bit when flaring and turn deep red. When they are not flaring they look purple (very freakish looking) and are still more swollen than normal, healthy feet.

This is very interesting. I am 41 years old. Last year, I started getting terrible swollen veins in my arms, hands and feet. They would swell, bulge and hurt. Sometimes they appeared very ropelike. At about the same time, I started to have burning, itching and redness in my feet every night. Doctors thought it was peripheral neuropathy in my feet; however, months and months later, I went to Mayo Clinic where they diagnosed me with probable EM. The strange thing is I don't have intense burning, more redness, sensitivity to cold, but it started with intense vein swelling, which lasted for about 7-8 months. It has since gone away, but it was bad. I've attached a picture. I also noticed that another member mentioned taking Levaquin for a sinus infection. I also had taken this about 5 months prior. I never realized that it could cause nerve problems. Hope this information helps.

484-Fall2010225.JPG (3.72 MB) 485-Fall2010215.JPG (3.5 MB)

YES THEY LOOK LIKE A ROPE....IN MY LEGS...SO SCARING WAOUW......

I too have vein issues that are unexplained. I am working with a Doctor of oriental medicine that feels the whole thing is caused by a parasite and is treating me for this. Considering the fact that the western docs can't help me, I am giving it a try. I will post if it seems to help- it's supposed to take two months to correct.