Back to Work

Well, I am a school teacher and will be going back to work Monday. I had 2 weeks off for Christmas break. Over the break, the weather was cool and I was relaxed, meaning minimal flare-ups! I am feeling so much anxiety and dread having to go back to my stressful work environment. I know what it means for my flares and pain level! Ive tried to think of a different job that wouldn’t be so physically demanding, but cannot think of what I would do to help support my family! Thanks for “listening!”

Hi, It is hard when you combine stress with heat isnt it, I am in a very stressful sales environment, however we live in a mountain resort, so right now the weather is perfect!!! Until of course people at work crank up the heat thinking they want to be in the tropics.

Hope you are able to try to relax more with your teaching position! I have been trying different coping stategies to get thru the worse, all the best!

Elaine

Hi, I am in the same profession. I am currently still on break as we don't go back until the 9th....so I will start to worry then. I had the same minimal flare ups while off and no major problems and I know going back to work will cause them all to be there again. I love teaching so I have spent many nights with tears and my husband trying to figure out if there is another way but with him retired and mine the only income and good income then if I find another job then we are sunk. So I add another stress ball to the ones I am already juggling and try to find ways to make things better whenever I can. Taking off my shoes, using my wheelchair instead of walking....anything I can think of. I totally understand and I hope you find a way to take some stress off even if it doesn't mean changing jobs and if it does then I hope you find a great job. Good luck either way.

I know where you're coming from Libby, I work in early years foundation stage at the local primary school so on my feet lots, the worst part being when I have to be in the outside area for up to 2 hours. The cold seems to be casuing flares (this is new symptom) I feel icy cold to the point of burning then as soon as I go into the warm environment an EM flare starts. Its even affecting my hands too.

I really hope you manage to find a way to support your family that is enjoyable but mostly pain free. Is there a way you could make it less stressful by delegating certain jobs to a teaching assistant etc.? Maybe talking to the head teacher to see if there is anyway the schol could help you.?

I'm back to work on Tuesday, looking forward to a bit of normality and seeing friends but not the flares that will no doubt follow.

I wish you lots of pain free, stress free and happy days in 2012 x

I really feel for you Libby & all the others who are trying to work full time. I don't know how you do it. I've been unable to work for the last 23 years because of other health issues & now the EM is a secondary condition that is making my life even more limited.

I've had it for just a little over a year & it has been a roller coaster trying to figure out what activities I can do that won't cause me to be in bed for weeks. My first big crisis or flare sent me to the ER since I didn't have a clue what was going on & every joint in hands & feet hurt, red & swollen. I was really bad for 3 weeks & don't want to ever experience that again if I can help it so I really try not to push myself & listen to my body.

My heart goes out to all of you who are trying to hold down jobs & live with EM. I hope Libby that it helps just to know there are others out there that understand. :)

Yes it is nice to have time off from the usual day job! I don't dread going back on Tuesday as much as I dread keeping it up once the weather warms. It seems that perhaps the perfect job for us would be one where we could work from home where we have more control over the conditions. But I think I would get lonely.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a teaching assistant where I am from!!! I wish though!!! That would help tons:) My administrators are aware of my condition, but honestly I really don’t think they have much compassion. I will continue to pray that God provides a way for me to better cope with all of this! Thank you all for your comments:)

Oh, forgot to add that I live in FL!!! The sunshine state, go figure!!! I AM DREADING SUMMER!!!

I live in Alaska where it is 35 below zero today. Come on up Libby. LOL I do work from home almost full time as an engineer. I surely do miss the human contact. I am on the phone lots but look forward to the mail lady dropping off a package so I can talk to her. She has been known to do my dishes and vacuum. You know what Johnny Cash said..."Life is rough and if you are going to make it you had better be tough." LOL It has been over a year since the last time I was in a grocery store. I miss "talking" to the teller.

It is hard working ful time and running a home (I'm a single parent) with EM, made worse by the lack of sleep I get when things are bad... I do agree with that, I would be really lonely if working from home, I do have some good friends but love being surrounded by children all day, talking to parents and other professionals etc. I also enjoy my trips to the gym, most of the staff I know and know about my EM so even if I do a class they're aware of my limitations. If I need to stop, ease off etc then they don't blink an eye lid. I didn't exercise for years because my doctor said it would cause me to flare more but I have found that things aren't much if any worse and I have the added benefit of being fitter/healthier.

I have found that exercise does a lot of good. If I go a day without exercising in the morning, I will have much more pain. Granted, I don't exercise strenuously, but at least I do something to get my blood circulating.

You are amazing to do all that you do while being a single parent. I admire the strength of those who courageously move forward each and every day even when the challenges they face are formidable.

lauraflora1 said:

It is hard working ful time and running a home (I'm a single parent) with EM, made worse by the lack of sleep I get when things are bad... I do agree with that, I would be really lonely if working from home, I do have some good friends but love being surrounded by children all day, talking to parents and other professionals etc. I also enjoy my trips to the gym, most of the staff I know and know about my EM so even if I do a class they're aware of my limitations. If I need to stop, ease off etc then they don't blink an eye lid. I didn't exercise for years because my doctor said it would cause me to flare more but I have found that things aren't much if any worse and I have the added benefit of being fitter/healthier.

Thank you Tulilou, I think that I had almost given up on everything by the time I was diagnosed so its really important for me to do as much as I can now even if feeling really fatigued I try to push myself to do something. I had stopped doing loads by the time I was first diagnosed and don't want to go back to that.

I do think I will need to talk to my employers at some point if my flares are still bad due to working outside in the cold for up to 2 hours at a time. I had managed to keep most of it to just close colleagues but not sure if this is a part of my job thats going to be right for me..!

I hope you all had a good new year :)

Yes, our new year was nice. I hope yours was relaxing and that you were able to spend it with loved ones.

You and I are in the same boat in that we need to talk to our employers. For me, that is tough. I just don't want to come across as a complainer. I suppose it is a tough thing for anyone in our position. I don't really even talk about it with close friends at work, though a couple of them do know that something has been going on.

- Nikki

lauraflora1 said:

Thank you Tulilou, I think that I had almost given up on everything by the time I was diagnosed so its really important for me to do as much as I can now even if feeling really fatigued I try to push myself to do something. I had stopped doing loads by the time I was first diagnosed and don't want to go back to that.

I do think I will need to talk to my employers at some point if my flares are still bad due to working outside in the cold for up to 2 hours at a time. I had managed to keep most of it to just close colleagues but not sure if this is a part of my job thats going to be right for me..!

I hope you all had a good new year :)

I’m so sorry for all the anxiety you feel. I’m wondering if you have considered taking a small tub of cool water with you when you return back to school. I’m thinking you could keep it under your desk. What are the medications that your doctor has prescribed? I’ll be lifting prayers up to the Lord for you. He will calm your anxious heart. I am so glad that we have connected. God bless you.
Carol Hornick