Lidocaine patches

I’m 18 and I’ve been diagnosed with EM for over a year now, and have had symptoms for about 5 years now. I have tried many things…aspirin and topical cream from Mayo Clinic both have been not useful. I’m starting to try lidocaine patches and wondering if anyone else has had any luck with these. How do you wear them, when, and for how long?

Hi Sara.
I haven’t tried the patches but have tried the cream. The cream did nothing for me. I’m sorry I couldn’t be of more help. I hope you get some better answers. Do you mind letting us know how it goes if you try it?
Thank you

Sara, I have not tried lidocaine patches because my RX insurance wouldn't pay for it. So the Dr. RX'd 5% lidocaine compounded cream. I found it helped a little with the burning. What part of your body is your EM? With me it is my feet. I find if they are burning, the thing that helps the most is putting a wet towel on them. My dermatologist said to try Sarna lotion. It is an OTC lotion. Using Sarna has helped also. Aspirin didn't help me at all. Good luck with your patches.

Pat

Dear Sara,

So sorry to hear of your pain- bless you! . Re: lidocaine patches - Em'ers with fairly localised EM of feet/toes have reported some relief which is good news :). Topical cream can also help. I have IV lidocaine infusions. Lidocaine is a sodium channel blocker. Blockers , according to current research , are the way forward in treating refractory pain such as EM.

Lidocaine is usually applied only once a day and for not more than 12 hours. Most EM'ers use patches late afternoon/evening leading up/into sleep ie: when normally pain increases in severity .

Have you not tried other firstline treatments such as Gabapentin/Pregabalin , Amytriptiline/Effexor?

I do hope the patches bring you some relief.

God bless

Have attached couple articles on lidocaine patches in EM.

Guidelines on use of lidocaine patches( But your Dr should advise you here)

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a603026.html

1 Like

I just tried a lidocaine patch last week when I had to be on my feet for awhile…and it helped. I cut it to fit the bottom of my foot and used paper tape to hold it on. I only put it on the sole of my foot, but it seemed to help my whole foot. I tried the 5% gel, it was stickey and didn’t help. Sara, I hope it helps you. Mads, thank you for the articles…Sharon

Sharonlee said:

I just tried a lidocaine patch last week when I had to be on my feet for awhile....and it helped. I cut it to fit the bottom of my foot and used paper tape to hold it on. I only put it on the sole of my foot, but it seemed to help my whole foot. I tried the 5% gel, it was stickey and didn't help. Sara, I hope it helps you. Mads, thank you for the articles....Sharon

Hi Sara :)

I tried the lidocaine patches several months ago. I'm sorry to report that they didn't help me. But, as you may have seen, different things work for different people. I cut the patches in half, using one half on each foot overnight.

They are quite expensive, too. My box of 30 cost around $80 - worth it if they work. But I can still use mine on my hip when my bursitis acts up.

It can't hurt to try them, hopefully with a sample. Good luck to you!