Night sweats

So it’s been about 3 weeks since the doc switched me from the Cymbalta to the Effexor and now im having terrible night sweats to the point im waking in the night drenched and having to change my clothes this is the only thing that’s changed other than adding the aspirin just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so will it let up once my body is used to the Effexor. I have heard people have pretty bad withdrawal from the Cymbalta when taken off so just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Hey mommaof4nuts -

Yeah I get very bad night sweats on effexor. I don’t think they ever went away really. I’ve been on several antidepressants in the past and effexor is the worst for me in terms of the night sweats. (Though I remember night sweats with cymbalta too.) My psych generally says that for side effects, they may persist or may not (real helpful haha!).

Is the night sweating exacerbating the burning / EM for you? I think for me they are independent.

Oddly enough my neurodiagnostic testing showed delayed/absent sweating when looking at the extremities – so the effexor wasn’t able to remedy that I guess!

Take care

standing_cat,
So far not impressed with the Effexor lol. My falres dnt seem to be better but dnt seem to be worse at the same time. No the night sweats aren’t making the EM worse so least that’s a good thing. I dnt think i can stay on this if these sweats keep going because not only do i take forever to get to sleep at night do to the EM but now im being woken up by complete drenching wet ugh i swear it’s always something right haha. How are you doin? How are you coping with the your symptoms? Hope your doing well.

Stay Cool
E

Unfortunately night sweats are not uncommon with the SSRIs and SSNRIs (like effexor) and can be even worse if also drinking significant alcohol.

Hope you find something that works and is well tolerated!

Lyrical has been partially helpful for me at 225mg at night

Best wishes

Hey E -

Yeah I hear you – I can wake up repeatedly with sweat dripping off me lol. It’s super gross. At least your flares don’t seem worse with the change!

I think the past few months have been a real breakthrough for me actually. Just finding some meds that seem to work for me. Amlodipine + ranexa mainly (ranexa is a sodium channel blocker). However I had to reduce my ranexa dose bc of chest discomfort (possible side effect) so I’m looking to switch to mexiletine as some ppl seem to have success with that one. Things aren’t perfect but I was able to go out for dinner a few times now where I couldn’t a year ago. It was a totally weird experience after being isolated for so long and I feel so grateful.

I sure hope they can find something for you. Seems unfortunate that we have to jump through all these hoops before certain things will be considered or approved by insurance (like lyrica, I think I remember you saying). I’m also curious if you would respond to mexiletine, seems like a big one for EM that you haven’t tried yet.

Hang in there xx