Silent fan for night time?

Hi Guys.

Does such a thing exist and if so where could I get one?

Have seen the Bed Fan from Brookstone in the US - but don't know how quiet it would be... I don't really want to keep my wife awake as well!

Any ideas?

Simon

Hi Simon,

I hear you loud and clear. Finding silent fans for the EM sufferer can be a tricky business.

Last year i discovered the oscillating tower fan. Some of these are about as noiseless as you can get :) Mine has a noise reduction technology.I have a Honeywell and an Ozeri. Probably anyone of these types of tower fans with silent spec would suffice. Can be pretty pricey. What I also like is the remote control, different speed settings, air flow types - breeze, gust etc... and the timer function. Worth every penny. Plus, they look pretty stylish sitting in the rooms and dont collect dust like the old airplane propeller models.

Dont know about the bedfan you mention. But from what I can see it would circulate under sheets thus affecting your wife too.

Hopefully members will have some great suggestions.

x

I have had a ceiling fan for a few years now, it used to work well but now things have got worse and it's better to have it, but it doesn't work as well as it used to. I leave my feet and legs out overnight. Mine was quite an expensive one but is quiet.

Dyson do a range of bladeless fans, expensive though.

I reccomend the dyson hot/cool fan. Its quiet and portable. I moved from Texas to Wshington state to help with the heat, but there still are warm days and this has been very helpful. Its quiet and I can easily move it from room to room, depending on my setting. In Texas, I kept one in my office. Depending on where you buy, prices can range up to 400 but amazon.com usually has the best deals and the one I currently have is a refurbished one I paid 300 for. Also, it has a remote, so if in bed you can easily change the temperature. Also, you can direct the air directly on you, so if your partner is cool natured it will not disturb their comfort. VERY quiet, best cooling fan ever.

NP2010 said:

I reccomend the dyson hot/cool fan. Its quiet and portable. I moved from Texas to Wshington state to help with the heat, but there still are warm days and this has been very helpful. Its quiet and I can easily move it from room to room, depending on my setting. In Texas, I kept one in my office. Depending on where you buy, prices can range up to 400 but amazon.com usually has the best deals and the one I currently have is a refurbished one I paid 300 for. Also, it has a remote, so if in bed you can easily change the temperature. Also, you can direct the air directly on you, so if your partner is cool natured it will not disturb their comfort. VERY quiet, best cooling fan ever.

Hi,

Thanks for the info guys. Does the Dyson actually cool or does it recycle the existing air - if that makes sense? Ideally would like it by my side of the bed so thats why noise is an issue.

Simon

It technically cools compared to their other line of fans. It is based on high velocity, not like a typical AC window unit, but much quieter and delivers very cool air. You can choose from cooling a whole room to a certain area. Not something that is going to cool the whole house down, but perfect when in certain areas. So depending on if you have central AC and how big your home is, it may, or may not be a good decision. The good thing is, if you buy through Amazon, and dont like it, you can always return it.

Heres a refurbinshed one, similar to what i have for 199 on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Dyson-AM05-Hot-Heater-Blue/dp/B00B04Z3NO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427996089&sr=8-1&keywords=dyson+hot+and+cool+fan

It can heat too.

I recently had my landlord cut off all the vents to my apartment, because it shared with the downstairs unit. So if I get a little cold, which actually sometimes happens with us :), I use it as a heater as well. And it works great.

Amazon and dyson should both pay me haha. JK. It really is the bomb. - Leslie

Scooby1066 said:

NP2010 said:

Hi,

Thanks for the info guys. Does the Dyson actually cool or does it recycle the existing air - if that makes sense? Ideally would like it by my side of the bed so thats why noise is an issue.

Simon

I bought one off eBay not the type above, but a desktop version. It was not branded as Dyson but when I got it and looked at the photos and instructions of the Dyson it was exactly the same! I have no idea where the seller got it from but the big difference was the price! It was about a quarter the price of a genuine Dyson one! It was so good that I bought another one. I use one in my office and one in my lounge. However it doesn't work as well as cooling my feet in a bowel of water but is a second best and easier to do. I am currently having to use a wheelchair around my bungalow due to the EM and cellulitis and so getting my bowl of water is a lot more difficult as I live on my own.

What has made matters worse today is that last week I had a problem with my foot there was blood under the surface of my skin I tried to get someone to come to me, but failed and in the end phoned 999, who got things sorted out for me with a district nurse visit on Monday. It was getting far better with the antibiotics, but last night we had a power cut and silly me I hadn't carried my torch round with me! What happened next was that I bashed the part of my foot that has the problem and this morning I noticed there was signs of blood coming through the dressing. However, try as I might I failed to get anybody to come out to me. The district nurse or the doctor. I was told to go into the doctor's surgery! At the moment I can't drive and have nobody to take me. I have an appointment on Tuesday at podiatry for an ulcer and I was told to wait until then, at least they have booked me an ambulance for that visit.

However, Tuesday is a long time off and it's Easter weekend. If it goes worse I am tempted to phone 999 again like last week. The trouble is our hospital in Truro, Cornwall, UK is on black alert as they haven't got any beds and the ambulance service is very stretched. I just hope it feels better tomorrow.

Our Government keeps telling us how good our NHS is but I don't know who they think they are kidding! In fact, probably a lot of people who haven't had a health problem and so they may well believe it.

I made a mistake when I first tried to purchase the fan and bought the cheaper desk top fan. This does not have the cooling component to it and thats why its cheaper. Make sure you get the hot/cool fan.. Also, check out my discussion on the avacore cooling glove. If you are able to spend the money (about 1000 US dollars), it is worth the cost. Miss less work, activities, etc. Heres a link to a stanford article about using it in athletes, bt its crossed over to medical...

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2012/09/avacore_technologies_magic_cooling_glove_from_stanford_won_t_transform_your_workout_.html

Other comments on this post

Posted by Jimmy Y on April 2, 2015 at 1:42pm in General (Change)

I have Brookstone bed fan and its great. The fan is adjustable.

http://forum.livingwitherythromelalgia.org/forum/topics/bed-fan

Hi folks.

I find that at bedtime 2 small fans work better than 1 larger fan. It's much quieter and I can aim the flow at each foot. Despite being in a cool bedroom and using no covering over my feet and ankles, my feet still get very hot and aiming one larger fan just did not do the trick. The smaller fans are much less noisy. The ones I like best are made by Cool Works (approx. Canadian $15) and the housing is about 5" in diameter. I place them at the foot of my bed on top of a plastic storage carton (placed on a low table) with folded towels on top to muffle the sound. I have these fans all over the house--because they are so inexpensive and quiet.

And Sheltielife. I am sending very positive vibes to you in hopes that your feet will get better soon and you'll get the medical care you need.

Dragica

To be honest am past caring what it / they cost. Am wondering about a Dyson and a bedfan. On the other hand I hear the British Antarctic Survey are looking for looking for people so maybe that's a plan!

Thanks for your ideas!

Simon

The O2 Cool or CoolWorks 5-6" tilting fans are wonderful for nighttime use because they are very quiet. The trick is to use 2 small fans, one in front of each foot (blowing toward the toes & bottom of my feet) instead of one larger fan that cools your whole body. I place mine on a crate on top of a small table at the foot of the bed and damp out any vibration using towels. It works like a charm. Also, when you use less powerful fans, your skin does not dry out as much which is a real issue with fans. I have very severe EM in my feet and ankles and I have tried all sorts of fans and systems, and this is the best way I have found after 4-5 years of trial and error.
Cheers, Dragica

John Lewis sells a simple very quiet fan costing under £20 in the UK. I used every day and night without waking my husband. It’s a 12 “ fan and I used it tied securely to a chair facing and level to the bed so the fan would blow over the bed onto my feet which were always hanging outside the duvet. I now use a gel cooling mat under my feet.

The Dyson one is not as quiet as the cheap under £20 fan from John Lewis in UK, White Desk Fan 12” NSA’UKDF-3032.

My quietest fan is a Dynabreeze FA-23099. It’s very big, but moves the air very quietly.